Sunday, October 10, 2004

Theorist Jacques Derrida dead at 74: Lots of Links

The great French Algerian/Jewish intellectual Jacques Derrida is dead at 74.

See Michael Berube for a brief intro to what Derrida was on about. I may do one of these myself sometime soon (I first have to get some grading, book-writing, and teaching preparation out of the way).

Also see: Balkin, and the New York Times (via Crooked Timber).

Further links from Adam Kotsko: reactions from France; Spurious; Infinite Thought; and of course, Adam Kotsko himself.

And then via Kitabkhana, I found a link to this entertaining article about JD from 1991 (Headline: "DECONSTRUCTING JACQUES DERRIDA; THE MOST REVILED PROFESSOR IN THE WORLD DEFENDS HIS DIABOLICALLY DIFFICULT THEORY")

Qalandar said...

I really wanted to post a comment on your post about Butler's obituary of Derrida, but the comments were "closed" there. I think this was a very good post (though somewhat hard to square with your comment in the piece about Irwin that one ought not to take French theorists very seriously, even though I kind of get it if one uses "literally"), and conveys a sense of Derrida's work as not just radical and subversive (two terms that have the stench of banality through overuse nowadays) but also intimate and personal.

Qalandar said...

PS-- I meant to write "'literally' instead of 'seriously'".

PPS-- Just to be clear, the comment applies to the post-re: Butler's obituary.

Amardeep said...

Qalandar,

Yes, I'm a bit self-contradictory on Derrida these days. Most of the time I tend to be closer to Irwin than to Butler, but I'm still always willing to 'get into it' with poststructuralist theory if there is a reason to do so.