Overview of Computing and Library Resources
for New Engineering Graduate Students
- Brad Price, Manager and Sr Computing Consultant <email@example.com> 610-758-4615
- Phil Hewitt, Sr Engineering Librarian <firstname.lastname@example.org> 610-758-3068
- Steve Sakasitz, Sr Instructional Technologist <email@example.com> 610-758-6144
|Information Resources:|| Lehigh Home Page: http://www.lehigh.edu
Campus Portal: http://portal.lehigh.edu
LTS Home Page: http://www.lehigh.edu/lts
New to Lehigh? 10 Links: http://lts.lehigh.edu/services/explanation/useful-links-new-graduate-students
STARS program (help with setting up *your* computer...and more!): http://www.lehigh.edu/stars
Engineering Subject Guide: http://libraryguides.lehigh.edu/engineering_sp
M.Eng in Structural Engineering Research Guide: http://libraryguides.lehigh.edu/mse_structural
M.Eng in Technical Entrepreneurship: http://libraryguides.lehigh.edu/techentre
LTS Help Desk: 610-758-4357 - http://www.lehigh.edu/helpdesk/
LTS college support team: http://www.lehigh.edu/go/ltseng
|Course Site Resources:||
Lehigh University online course management system, based on Moodle: http://coursesite.lehigh.edu
Getting Started with Course Site: https://confluence3.cc.lehigh.edu/x/TI5G
|Computer Account Maintenance:||http://www.lehigh.edu/account|
Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise, lots of pre-installed software including: MS Office Suite, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, SSH for remote logins, VLC, Matlab, and Acrobat Reader. (Sites are being upgraded from Windows 7 through summer 2016)
Additional software can be installed using the "Install Software" link on the desktop.
When computer powers on, you have the option to completely reload the software on the computer to restore to "out-of the box" condition. Prompt comes up at the beginning of the boot process, if you do nothing, computer will boot up as normal. Choosing refresh will remove any software that was installed in addition to the base image, so use caution when choosing this option.
Under "Computer", you will have access to your Network Drive (H:) which is 5 GB. This space is backed up on a daily basis and also contains a "Public" folder that can be used to share files with other Lehigh users.
In addition to the 600+ PC's located in sites through campus, there are Mac's in EWFM library computing site and in the Digital Media Studio, and many high performance computing servers running Unix available through remote login.
- Lehigh Google Apps for Education is used at Lehigh, including Lehigh Google Mail, Calendar and Docs with unlimited storage. For more information see http://www.lehigh.edu/google/.
- Printing - The printer(s) at each site are
already installed on each computer at that site. Printing is
monitored by a program called PaperCut which is available from
the desktop. Each account is allocated a $75 allowance per year.
See someone at the library Circulation Desk for
questions/problems with printing accounting: http://www.lehigh.edu/print/faq.html
- Virtual Public Site - In addition to the
physical public labs, it is now possible to access a virtual
public site from any computer, on or off campus: http://www.lehigh.edu/computing/software/virtualsite/
If you have your own computer:
Most locations on campus have secure wireless access via "lehigh" WiFi. "lehigh-guest" is rate-limited and therefore not recommended for general use. Additional information and setup instructions are available at: http://www.lehigh.edu/wireless/
See the STARS document, Preparing and Securing your Computer for use at Lehigh: http://lts.lehigh.edu/services/faq/star-preparing-securing-your-computer-use-lehigh
All students are eligible for Microsoft Office 365 so do not purchase Microsoft software before reviewing this information!
- You may download the full Microsoft Office suite for up to five Windows/Mac computers on one account.
- You may download select Office apps for up to five mobile devices (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile).
- You have 1TB of Lehigh OneDrive storage space.
- For details please review: http://lts.lehigh.edu/services/office-365
- Virus/Malware/Spyware Protection - We recommend that you download and use the combination of Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. For additional information and links to download the software see: https://lts.lehigh.edu/services/explanation/star-software-guide
- If you want to print at a public site printer using your computer, you must first install the printer for PaperCut. Details and download link at: http://www.lehigh.edu/print/printers.html
- Become familiar with the other software that is available to you as a student! Don't buy any software (or hardware!) without first checking the software information page at: https://lts.lehigh.edu/services/explanation/star-software-guide
- Information about purchasing computers is at: http://lts.lehigh.edu/services/computer-purchases
- Some campus resources are blocked from off-campus access unless you first launch the VPN (including access to your h: drive). For more information on the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client, see: http://lts.lehigh.edu/services/vpn
- Develop a file backup plan for your computer!
- LTS Computer Repair technicians can do repair work on several brands of computers, details at: http://lts.lehigh.edu/services/computer-repair-and-upgrade-services
File Storage and Sharing - Always have more than one copy of a file!:
- Lehigh Google Apps (Google Drive) - Files not stored at Lehigh and not backed up, but depending on the nature of the files and if used in conjunction with a backup plan, offers easy, convenient file storage and sharing ("unlimited" storage). Go to: http://www.lehigh.edu/google
- Use the LAN drive (H:) - accessible from all public site computers, and your personal computer both on and off campus using the WIRED client. Use the public folder to share with anyone else at Lehigh (On Windows - Start Menu > All Programs > LU Public, browse to the account name of the person sharing the file, e.g. enter the "a" folder to see files shared by username abc111). 5GB total limit on the H: drive per person.
- Lehigh Filesender - Can be used to share files with both Lehigh and non-Lehigh people. 14-day time limit for "pick-up" of files. Go to: http://filesender.lehigh.edu Limited to 2GB files.
- Mahara - Our E-Portfolio Community. You can set create a profile, views, resume, groups, in addition to sharing files. Go to: https://mahara.cc.lehigh.edu/
- External hard drive or USB device
updated - 6/2017