Teaching and Mentoring Activities
Dr. Frangopol is a teacher and mentor who committed most of his career in furthering civil engineering education around the world. He is the founding president of two international associations (IABMAS and IALCCE), with a total of about 2000 members from 55 countries, where membership is free and the major biennial conferences are usually held on different continents; their objectives are to promote international cooperation in their fields for the purpose of enhancing the welfare of the society. Many students and young engineers are members of these associations.
Dr. Frangopol is the recipient of the ASCE’s 2016 Outstanding Projects and Leaders (OPAL) Lifetime Achievement Award for Education.
- Civil Engineering Systems
- Probability, Statistics and Decision for Civil Engineers
- Structural Analysis
- Structural Design I
- Matrix Structural Analysis
- Inelastic Theory of Structures
- Structural Reliability
- Advanced Structural Reliability
- Structural Failure
- Structural Optimization
- Structural Reliability of Components and Systems
- Life-Cycle of Structural Systems
- Structural Safety and Risk
Graduate Students Supervised as Research Advisor
40 PhD students supervised as dissertation advisor, from which many are university professors and several are prominent in professional practice and research laboratories.
- Zhu, Benjin, 2015
- Dissertation Title: Redundancy, Reliability Updating, and Risk-based Maintenance Optimization of Aging Structures
- Awards: ICOSSAR 2013 Registration Scholarship; P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellowship
- Soliman, Mohamed, 2015
- Dissertation Title: Life-Cycle Management of Civil and Marine Structures under Fatigue and Corrosion Effects
- Awards: co-recipient of the 2015 ASCE Alfred Noble Prize; co-recipient of the 2014 ASCE J. James R. Croes Medal; recipient of the ICOSSAR 2013 Registration Scholarship; P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellowship; CEE Department Nominee for the 2015 Stout Dissertation Award
- Saydam, Duygu, 2013
- Dissertation Title: Reliability and Risk of Structural Systems under Progressive and Sudden Damage
- Awards: CEE Department Nominee for the 2014 Stout Dissertation Award
- Decò, Alberto, 2013
- Dissertation Title: Risk-Based Approach for Life-Cycle Assessment and Management of Bridges and Ship Structures
- Kim, Sunyong, 2011
- Kwon, Kihyon, 2011
- Dissertation Title: Reliability Assessment, Performance Prediction and Life-Cycle Management of Fatigue Sensitive Structures Based on Field Test Data
- Okasha, Nader, 2010
- Dissertation Title: Integration of System-Based Performance Measures and Structural Health Monitoring for Optimized Structural Management under Uncertainty
- Awards: 2012 IALCCE Junior Research Award, the 2009 Nevada Medal for Distinguished Graduate Student Paper in Bridge Engineering, and co-recipient of the 2011 ASCE Arthur M. Wellington Research Prize
- Messervey, Thomas, 2009
- Dissertation Title: Integration of Structural Health Monitoring in the Design, Assessment and Management of Civil Infrastructure with Emphasis on Highway Bridges
- Hoffman, Simon, 2008 (Co-advisor)
- Dissertation Title: System Identification by Directly Measured Influence Lines
- Liu, Ming, 2006
- Dissertation Title: Bridge Network Lifetime Maintenance Optimization under Uncertainty
- Neves, Luis, 2005
- Dissertation Title: Life-Cycle Analysis of Bridges Considering Condition, Safety and Maintenance Cost Interaction
- Awards: 2008 IABMAS Young Research Prize
- Petcherdchoo, Aruz, 2004
- Dissertation Title: Maintaining Condition and Safety of Deteriorating Bridges by Probabilistic Models and Optimization
- Akgul , Ferhat, 2002
- Dissertation Title: Lifetime System Reliability Prediction for Multiple Structure Types in a Bridge Network
- Yang, Seung-Ie, 2002
- Dissertation Title: Predicting Lifetime Reliability of Deteriorating Systems with and without Maintenance
- Kong, Jung, 2001
- Dissertation Title: Lifetime Maintenance Strategies for Deteriorating Structures
- Awards: 2009 IASSAR Junior Research Prize
- Gharaibeh, Emhaidy, 1999
- Dissertation Title: Reliability and Redundancy of Structural Systems with Application to Highway Bridges
- Kepler, William, 1999
- Dissertation Title: Improved Assessment of Concrete Dams Using Acoustic Travel Time Technology
- Imai, Kiyohiro, 1999
- Dissertation Title: Reliability Analysis of Geometrically Nonlinear Structures with Application to Suspension Bridges
- Awards: co-recipient of the 2003 ASCE Moisseiff Award
- Enright, Michael, 1998
- Dissertation Title: Time-Variant Reliability of Reinforced Concrete Girders Under Environmental Attack
- Awards: co-recipient of the 2001 ASCE J. James R. Croes Medal
- De Almeida, Adelino, 1998
- Dissertation Title: An Elastic – Perfectly Plastic Model of Connection Response for the Analysis and Design of PR Frames
- Estes, Allen, 1997
- Dissertation Title: A System Reliability Approach to the Lifetime Optimization of Inspection and Repair of Highway Bridges
- Awards: 2002 IABMAS Junior Research Prize
- Lin, Kai, 1995
- Dissertation Title: Reliability-Based Life-Cycle Cost Design of Reinforced Concrete Girder Bridges
- Diniz, Sofia, 1994
- Dissertation Title: Reliability of High Strength Concrete Columns
- Lee-Yong, Hak, 1993
- Dissertation Title: Stochastic Finite Element Analysis of Structural Plain Concrete
- Hendawi Samer, 1993
- Dissertation Title: Structural System Reliability with Applications to Bridge Analysis, Design and Optimization
- Al-Harthy, Ali, 1992
- Dissertation Title: Reliability Analysis and Reliability-Based Design of Prestressed Concrete Structures
- Iizuka, Minoru, 1991
- Dissertation Title: Time Invariant and Time Variant Reliability Analysis and Optimization of Structural Systems
- Banafa, Ahmed, 1991
- Dissertation Title: Design Reliability for Estimating Cost of Pile Foundations: From Theory to Application
- Napitupulu, Heinrych, 1990
- Dissertation Title: Optimum Design, Redundancy and Reliability Analysis of Truss Systems
- Trautner, Janice, 1989
- Dissertation Title: Computer Modeling and Reliability Evaluation of Truss Bridges
- Nakib, Rachid, 1988
- Dissertation Title: Reliability Analysis and Optimization of Multistate Structural Systems
- Hong, Kappyo, 1987
- Dissertation Title: Assessment of Seismic Hazard Using A Probabilistic-Fuzzy Approach
53 M.Sc. students supervised as thesis or report advisor (35 graduated with a thesis).
Kim, Bubryur, 2015, M.Sc. Report; Zhang, Lutong, 2015, M.Sc. Thesis; Peiffer, Brian, 2014, M.Sc. Thesis; Zou, Yingjun, 2011, M.Sc. Thesis; Zhang, Chao, 2009, M.Sc. Thesis; Marsh, Phillip, 2006, M.Sc. Thesis; Bradley, Chamberlin, 2006, M.Sc. Report; Buckmaster, Sonia, 2006, M.Sc. Report; Deco, Alberto, 2005, Tesi di Laurea; Maldonaldo-Gonzales, Rene, 2005, M.Sc. Report; Saele, Thomas, 2005, M.Sc. Thesis; Matsumoto, Masato, 2005, M.Sc. Thesis; Goode, Jonathan, 2004, M.Sc. Thesis; Subbarayan, Sundara, 2004, M.Sc. Thesis; Miller, Aaron, 2004, M.Sc. Thesis; Omachi, Yoshiaki, 2002, M.Sc. Thesis; Kawakami, Yoriko, 2002, M.Sc. Thesis; Noh, Jinil, 2001, M.Sc. Thesis; Hanai, Taku, 1999, M.Sc. Thesis; Miyake, Masaru, 1999, M.Sc. Thesis; Frank, Dean, 1999, M.Sc. Thesis; Chen, Hung-Wei, 1997, M.Sc. Report; Nichols, Matthew, 1997, M.Sc. Report; Genz, Daryl, 1997, M.Sc. Thesis; Milner, David, 1996, M.Sc. Thesis; Durmus, Korhan, 1996, M.Sc. Thesis; Lunke, Anne, 1996, M.Sc. Report; Iwaki, Ichiro, 1996, M.Sc. Thesis; Stehler, Donald, 1995, M.Sc. Thesis; Johansson, Ola, 1995, M.Sc. Report; Ide, Yutaka, May 1995, M.Sc. Thesis; Steine, Gert, 1995, M.Sc. Report; Wilshusen, Brec, 1995, M.Sc. Report; Pranet, Woravit, 1994, M.Sc. Report; Khandaker, Lutfur, 1994, M.Sc. Thesis; Pytte, Erik, 1994, M.Sc. Thesis; Kang, Hong, 1992, M.Sc. Report; Chakravorty, Milanendu, 1991, M.Sc. Report; Burgess, Christopher, 1991, M.Sc. Thesis; Yoshida, Keito, 1990, M.Sc. Thesis; Teigen, Jan, 1990, M.Sc. Thesis; Tan, Nurhan, 1990, M.Sc. Thesis; Robson, Bradley, 1990, M.Sc. Thesis; Gupta, Rishi, 1989, M.Sc. Thesis; Abuasaad, Assad, 1988, M.Sc. Report; Scholfield, Mark, 1988, M.Sc. Report; Yen, Tzong, 1987, M.Sc. Report; Curley, James, 1986, M.Sc. Thesis; Trautner, Janice, 1986, M.Sc. Thesis; Aburayyan, Naim, 1986, M.Sc. Report; Hiestand, Gregory, 1986, M.Sc. Thesis; Nakib, Rachid, 1985, M.Sc. Thesis.
Current Graduate Students Supervised as Research Advisor
Castro de Aguiar, Patrícia; Dong, You (Awards: recipient of the 2015 CERRA Student Recognition Award and the P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellowship); Guimaraes, Hugo (Co-advisor); Haraji, Ali (Co-advisor); Hanley, Ciaran (Co-advisor); Li, Huile (Co-advisor); Liu, Jie; Liu, Liang; Mondoro, Alysson (Awards: P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellowship); Peng, Shu- Ting; Sabatino, Samantha (Awards: P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellowship); Yang, Yinan (David) (Co-advisor)
National Research Paper-Based Awards Received with Current/Former Graduate Students
- ASCE Alfred Noble Prize, 2015 (with Mohamed Soliman); ASCE Citation: For the paper "Life-cycle Management of Fatigue Sensitive Structures Integrating Inspection Information,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, June 2014.
- ASCE J. James R. Croes Medal, 2014 (with Sunyong Kim and Mohamed Soliman); ASCE Citation: For the paper "Generalized Probabilistic Framework for Optimum Inspection and Maintenance Planning,” Journal of Structural Engineering, March 2013.
- ASCE Arthur M. Wellington Prize, 2012 (with Nader Okasha, PhD 2009); ASCE Citation: For the paper “Novel approach for multicriteria optimization of life-cycle preventive and essential maintenance of deteriorating structures” Journal of Structural Engineering, August 2010.
- ASCE Moisseiff Award, 2003 (with Kiyohiro Imai, PhD 1999); ASCE Citation: For the paper “Reliability-based assessment of suspension bridges: Application to the Innoshima Bridge,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, November -December 2001.
- ASCE J. James R. Croes Medal, 2001 (with Michael Enright, PhD 1998); ASCE Citation: For the paper “Condition prediction of deteriorating concrete bridges using Bayesian updating,” Journal of Structural Engineering, October 1999.
External Expert for the Habilitation and External Examining Committee Member for Ph.D. Candidates
- External Expert for the Habilitation (Venia Docendi) Committee at the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 2007 (Dr. Alfred Strauss).
- External Examining Committee Member for Ph.D. Candidates at World Renowned Institutions: University of California, Los Angeles, 1991 (Dr. George Zorapapel); Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1991 (Dr. Milutin Stojanovic); University of Newcastle, Australia, 1993 (Dr. C. Q. Li); University of Waterloo, Canada, 1993 (Dr. Zoubir Lounis); Technical University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain, 1996 (Dr. Cesar Minguillon); Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, 1998 (Dr. Ireneusz Czmoch); University of Aalborg, Denmark, 2001 (Dr. Christian Frier); Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001 (Dr. Aleksandar Radojicic); University of Minho, Guimaraes, Portugal, 2005 (Dr. Luis Neves); University of Surrey, Guildford, England, 2005 (Dr. M. I. Rafiq); Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India, 2006 (Dr. Sandeep Chaudhary); University of Waterloo, Canada, 2007 (Dr. Hatem ElBehairy and Dr. Suresh V. Datla); Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2007 (Dr. Maarten-Jan Kallen); University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 2008 (Dr. Simon Hoffmann); Universite Paris-Est (University of Paris-East) Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chausseees (LCPC), Paris, France, 2008 (Dr. Andre Orcesi); University of Pavia, Italy, 2009 (Dr. Thomas Messervey); Politecnico of Milan, Italy, 2010 (Dr. Alessio Caverzan, Dr. Rafaelle Figini, Dr. Paola Limonta, Dr. Roberta Stucchi); University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 2011 (Dr. Spyridis Panagiotis); University College Dublin, Ireland, 2014 (Dr. Cathal Leahy); University of Belgrade, Serbia, 2014 (Nikola Tanasic); Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria, 2014 (Dr. Jan Podroužek).
Selected Short Courses Offered
- Life-Cycle of Civil and Marine Infrastructure Systems (International Summer School on Risk, Technical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria), 2015
- Maintenance, Management and Life-Cycle Performance of Civil Infrastructure (University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria), 2015
- Reliability, Risk, Resilience, and Sustainability of Structures under Natural and Man-Made Hazards (Erasmus Mundus Master Course SUSCOS_M, Polytechnic University of Timisoara, Romania), 2014
- Structural Life-Cycle Management of Highway Bridges and Ships (Technical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria), 2013
- Maintenance, Management and Life-Cycle Performance of Civil Engineering Infrastructure (University of Paris Est, France), 2011
- Life-Cycle Design of Civil Engineering Infrastructure (Johannesburg and Cape Town, Organized by University of Cape Town, South Africa), 2011
- Structural Risk and Reliability: Issues to be Resolved (Colloquium, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa), 2010
- Industrial Short Course on the Applications of Reliability Engineering (National University of Science and Technology, Taipei, Taiwan), 2010
- Natural and Man Made Induced Hazards (LLP/Erasmus Short Course, University of Florence, Florence, Italy), 2009
- Life-Cycle Design of Bridges (Technical University (Politecnico) of Milan, Milan, Italy), 2008 and 2009
- Reliability, Optimization and Life-Cycle of Civil Engineering Systems (University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria), 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011
- Optimal Maintenance of Bridges Based on Risk and Reliability (Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Toluca, Mexico), 2008
- Integration of Structural Health Monitoring with Risk-Based Performance (University of Surrey, Guildford, England), 2008
- Arch Bridges (Technical University (Politecnico) of Milan, Milan, Italy), 2007
- Cable-Stayed and Suspension Bridges (Technical University (Politecnico) of Milan, Milan, Italy), 2006
- Condition, Safety and Cost of Deteriorating Bridges (Technical University (Politecnico) of Milan, Milan, Italy), 2005
- Optimization of Bridge Maintenance Strategies (University of Minho, Guimaraes, Portugal), 2004
- Reliability, Maintenance and Life-Cycle Cost Procedures for Bridges (University of Rome "La Sapienza", Rome, Italy), 2004
- Methodological Aspects in Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Bridges (Technical University (Politecnico) of Milan, Milan, Italy), 2004
- Time-Variant Reliability of Deteriorating Structures (Bauhaus University Weimar, Germany), 2000
- Lifetime - Oriented Analysis and Design of Deteriorating Structures (Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany), 2000
- Safety of Existing Bridges (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland), 1998
- Structural Reliability (Technical University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain), 1998
- Reliability and Optimization of Structural Systems (University of Trento, Trento, Italy), 1995
- System Reliability (National Defense Academy, Yokosuka, Japan), 1989
- Reliability Concepts and Techniques in Structural and Geotechnical Engineering (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland), 1989
- Structural Failure (University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado), 1986
Invited Lectures and Seminars
- Australia [Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organization, CSIRO, Highett, Melbourne; Structural Branch of Engineers, Victoria Division, Melbourne; Monash University; Swinburne University of Technology].
- Austria [University of Innsbruck; Vienna University of Technology; Vienna University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences].
- Belgium [Ghent University; University of Liège].
- Brazil [University of São Paulo].
- Canada [University of Waterloo; Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal; Ontario Ministry of Transportation].
- China [Tongji University; Hunan University; Central South University of Forestry and Technology; Southeast University; Tianjin University; Harbin Institute of Technology; Shanghai Jiao Tong University; Dalian University of Technology; Chang’an University].
- Cyprus [Cyprus University of Technology].
- Czech Republic [Brno University of Technology; Czech Technical University in Prague].
- Denmark [Denmark Ministry of Transportation, Copenhagen; University of Aalborg].
- England [The Institution of Civil Engineers; The Highways Agency; Imperial College of Science and Technology; University of Cambridge; University of Surrey].
- France [French Institute of Science and Technology for Transport, Development and Networks (IFSTTAR; French Institute of Advanced Mechanics (IFMA); University of Paris-Est].
- Germany [Ruhr-University Bochum; Bauhaus-University Weimar; Technical University of Braunschweig; Technical University of Munich; University of the Federal Armed Forces Munich; University of Stuttgart; University of Hannover; University of Karlsruhe].
- Greece [Technical University of Crete; National Technical University of Athens].
- Hong Kong [The University of Hong Kong; The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; City University of Hong Kong; The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU)].
- Ireland [Trinity College Dublin].
- Italy [Commission of the European Communities, Joint Research Center, ISPRA; ISMES; University of Brescia; University of Florence; IUAV University of Venice; Technical University (Politecnico) of Milan; University of Padova; University of Pavia; University of Perugia; University of Rome “La Sapienza”; University of Trento; University of Naples “Federico II”].
- Japan [Architectural Institute of Japan; University of Tokyo, Institute of Industrial Science and Engineering Research Institute; Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE); Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University; Japan Society of Steel Construction (JSSC) and Bridge and Offshore Engineering Association (BOEA); Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Structures Association (RAMS), Hiroshima Institute of Technology; Study Groups of Structures in Tokai, Nagoya University; Kyushu University; Kobe University; Nagoya University; Bridge Management Forum (Japanese Group of IABMAS); Osaka University; Osaka City Government; Waseda University; Ehime University; Kyoto University; University of Osaka Prefecture; Kansai University; Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd.; National Defense Academy; Hokkaido University; Osaka City Government Bridge Committee; Yamaguchi University; Docon-Hokkaido Engineering Consultants; Kagawa University; Kajima Corporation; Kansai Electric Power Company and New Japan Engineering Consultants; Tokyo Electric Power Company; Japan Highway Public Corporation and Expressway Technology Center; Japan Civil Engineering Consultants Association; Hanshin Expressway Public Corporation; Honshu-Shikoku Bridge Authority; Metropolitan Expressway Public Corporation; Kanagawa University; Nihon University; Japan Society of Steel Construction; Takenaka Corporation; Obayashi Corporation; Nihon University].
- Korea [Yonsei University; Seoul University; Hanyang University; Sung-Kyun-Kwan University; Korea Institute of Construction Technology, Gyeonggi-Do].
- Mexico [Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico].
- Netherlands [Delft University of Technology].
- Norway [Det norske Veritas (A.S. Veritas Research); Norwegian Public Road Administration; University of Oslo; University of Trondheim (NTH)].
- Poland [Krakow University of Technology].
- Portugal [University of Minho].
- Romania [Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest; Technical University “Gheorghe Asachi” of Iasi; "Politechnica" University of Timișoara; Romanian Academy of Technical Sciences, Bucharest; Romanian Academy, Timișoara branch].
- Singapore [National University of Singapore].
- South Africa [University of Cape Town; Stellenbosch University].
- Spain [Technical University of Catalonia].
- Sweden [Chalmers University of Technology; Lulea University of Technology; University of Lund].
- Switzerland [Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL) and Zurich (ETH)].
- Taiwan [National Central University; Ruentex Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd.; National Taiwan University of Science and Technology].
- Turkey [Istanbul Technical University].
- United States of America [Bureau of Reclamation, Concrete Dams Branch, Denver; Case Western Reserve University; Carnegie Mellon University; Cornell University; Georgia Institute of Technology; Illinois Institute of Technology; Lehigh University; North Carolina State University; Northeastern University; Northwestern University; Purdue University; New Jersey Institute of Technology; Rice University; Johns Hopkins University; Ohio State University; University of Colorado; University of Michigan; University of Utah; University of Miami; University of Minnesota; University of Central Florida; University of Notre Dame; University of Hawaii at Manoa].