Book Series Announcement
Praeger Publishers Women Writers of Color Biography Series
American women of African descent came early to this rebirth, which has awakened a vast general audience. This series will include high quality literary biographies of well-known African American , Caribbean, Chicana, Native American, Asian American and other women of color writers. The biographies will be geared toward an interested and sophisticated general audience that seeks authoritative information about women of color writers.
These poets and writers are familiar to the reading public: Gwendolyn Brooks, Zora Neale Hurston, Maxine Hong Kingston, Maya Angelou, Toni Morrison, June Jordan, Leslie Marmon Silko, Toni Cade Bambara, Ann Petry, Alice Walker, Alice Dunbar-Nelson, Zora Neale Hurston, Lorraine Hansberry, Octavia Butler, Georgia Douglass Johnson, Julia Alvarez, Jamaica Kincaid, Lucille Clifton, Audre Lorde, Helena Maria Viramontes, Paule Marshall, Nella Larsen, Jesse Fausett, Margaret Walker, and others.
Submitting a Proposal:
If you believe your work is suitable for the Women Writers of Color Biography Series, please send a proposal consisting of:1. A detailed description of the planned work, its subject, scope and intended audience.
2. A copy of the curriculum vitae/resume for yourself and any co-authors.
3. A description of any competing books, and an explanation of how yours would differ.
4. An estimate of the length of the final manuscript in words, preferably, or in double-spaced manuscript pages.
5. An indication of how many photos, tables, or figures, if any, you expect to include.
6. An indication of when you expect to be able to submit a final manuscript.
7. A double-spaced sample chapter or two.
Each project under consideration for publication is subject to review by the series editor and the editorial board at Praeger Publishers. Please keep in mind that it may take several weeks, to a few months, before a decision is made.
Professor Joanne M. Braxton