Thursday, November 18, 2004

http://www.culturevulture.net/Theater6/DollsHouse.htm

This site reviews Henrik Ibsen’s A Doll House as performed in San Francisco’s American Conservatory earlier this year. In this version, the play is set in the present day, not the 1800s as Ibsen had written. The shift in time period demonstrates how society has changed in their perceptions of the role of women in society and how shocking the ending must have been for European society when the play first premiered. The actress who plays the troubled Nora Helmer performs the construction of her character starting as her “husband’s pampered “little bird” to a fully human being” with much ease. Since these are local actors, I couldn’t picture just how fitting they were to their respective roles. However, there is a movie production slated for next year starring John Cusack and Kate Winslet as the inwardly troubled Helmers. I was not familiar with the play at all until last week and I think the casting for this movie is pretty awesome, even if I think that John Cusack is too “nice” to play the condescending Torvald. If anyone has seen Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Kate Winslet is a great choice for the rapidly evolving Nora since she is known for being cast as the good girl gone badly.