Dr. W. Beall Fowler
Department of Physics
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Phone: (610) 758-3947
Fax: (610) 758-4561
Lehigh University Engineering Physics B.S., 1959
University of Rochester Physics Ph.D., 1963
University of Illinois, Urbana Physics (postdoctoral) 1963-1966
2001- Professor of Physics, Emeritus, Lehigh University
1969-2001 Professor of Physics, Lehigh University
1994-95 Interim Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, Lehigh University
1978-84, 88-91, Chairperson, Department of Physics, Lehigh University
1985-86 Sabbatical Visitor, Oxford University (England) and University of Parma (Italy)
1966-69 Associate Professor of Physics, Lehigh University
Semiconductor Interface Specialists Conference, Executive Committee, Arrangements Chair, Technical Chair,
General Chair, 1994-2000.
Judge, Science Fair, 1998-2015.
Selection Committee, Da Vinci Science Center Hall of Fame, 1999-2015.
Awards and Honors
Fellow, American Physical Society
Eastman Kodak Scientific Award, University of Rochester, 1963
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Teaching Award, Lehigh University, 1986
R. R. and E. C. Hillman Award, Lehigh University, 1990.
Outstanding Referee recognition, Americal Physical Society, 2008.
2 books, 21 book chapters or conference proceedings, 136+ refereed publications (h-factor=34)
Selected Recent Publications
1. "Hydrogen centers and the conductivity of In2O3 single crystals," W. Yin, K. Smithe, P. Weiser, M. Stavola, W. B Fowler, L. Boatner, S. J. Pearton, D. C. Hays, and S. G. Koch, Phys. Rev. B 91, 075208 (2015).
2. "Contrasting the experimental properties of hydrogen in SnO2, In2O3, and TiO2," M. Stavola, F. Bekisli, W. Yin, K. Smithe, W. B. Fowler and L. A. Boatner, J. Appl. Phys. 115, 012001 (2014).
3. "Small polaron characteristics of an OD center in TiO2 studied by infrared spectroscopy," F. Bekisli, W. B. Fowler, and M. Stavola, Phys. Rev. B 86, 155208 (2012).
4. "Microscopic origin of compressive strain in hydrogen-irradiated dilute GaAs1-yNy alloys: Role of N-Hn centers with n>2 and their thermal stability," L. Wen, M. Stavola, W. B. Fowler, R. Trotta, A. Polimeni, M. Capizzi, G. Biscognin, M. Berti, S. Rubini, and F. Martelli, Phys. Rev. B 86, 085206 (2012).
5. "Bond angles for O-H defects in SnO2 from polarization properties of their vibrational modes," F. Bekisli, W. B. Fowler, M. Stavola, L. A. Boatner, E. Spahr, and G. Lüpke, Phys. Rev. B 85, 205202 (2012).
6. "Microscopic structure of a VH4 center trapped by C in Si," C. Peng, H. Zhang, M. Stavola, W. B. Fowler, B. Esham, S. K. Estreicher, A. Docaj, L. Carnel, and M. Seacrist, Phys. Rev. B 84, 195205 (2011).
7. "Hydrogen impurities and shallow donors in SnO2 studied by infrared spectroscopy," F. Bekisli, M. Stavola, W. B. Fowler, L. Boatner, E. Spahr, and G. Lüpke, Phys. Rev. B 84, 035213 (2011).
8. "Detailed structure of the H-N-H center in GaAsyN1-y revealed by vibrational spectroscopy under uniaxial stress," L. Wen, F. Bekisli, M. Stavola, W. B. Fowler, R. Trotta, A. Polimeni, M. Capizzi, S. Rubini, and F. Martelli, Phys. Rev. B 81, 233201 (2010).
9. "Ortho-para transition of interstitial H2 and D2 in Si," C. Peng, M. Stavola, W. B. Fowler, and M. Loxkwood, Phys. Rev. B 80, 125207 (2009).
10. "Vibrational properties of the H-N-H complex in dilute III-N-V alloys: Infrared spectroscopy and density functional theory," S. Kleekajai, F. Jiang, K. Colon, M. Stavola, W. B. Fowler, K. R. Martin, A. Polimeni, M. Capizzi, Y. G. Hong, H. P. Xin, C. W. Tu, G. Bais, S. Rubini, and F. Martelli, Phys. Rev. B 77, 085213 (2008).
11. "Hindered rotation of an OH-Li center in MgO: Infrared experiments and theory," K. R. Martin, C. Peng, S. Kleekajai, P. Blaney, E. Diamond, W. B. Fowler, M. Stavola, and R. González, Phys. Rev. B 75, 245211 (2007).
Theoretical condensed-matter physics, with particular emphasis on the electronic and vibrational properties of point defects in semiconductors and insulators. Early work concentrated on electronic and electron-lattice effects on defects in alkali halides (color centers). Later work included developing and analyzing models for defects in semiconductors and in silicon dioxide (e. g., the oxygen vacancy in silicon dioxide). More recent work has involved collaborations with Michael Stavola, Kevin Martin (University of Pittsburgh – Johnstown) and undergraduate summer REU students on the vibrational properties of hydrogen-related defects in semiconductors and oxides.
This more recent work involves a synthesis of large quantum-chemical calculations using density-functional theory with the CRYSTAL2006 code, along with simpler “mass and spring” model calculations, in order to tease out the structures and properties of any number of hydrogen-related defects.
Elected member, Lower Saucon Township Government Study Commission, 1970’s.
Little league baseball coach, 1970’s, 1980’s.
Tutor, Hogar Crea Freemansburg, ~1990.
Board member, Historic Bethlehem Inc., 1999 – 2005.
President, HBI board, 2002 – 2004.
Board member, Historic Bethlehem Partnership, 2002 – 2011.
Vice-president, HBP board, 2003 – 2005, President, 2005 - 2007.
Board member, WDIY-FM, 2003 - 2004.
Board Member, Lehigh Valley Community Foundation, 2011 – present.
Board member, DaVinci Science Center, 2014 – present.
Board member, Northampton County Historical and Genealogical Association, 2003 – present.
Board member, Bethlehem Historic District Association, 2004 - 2011.
President, BHDA board, 2008- 2011..
Born and raised in Honesdale, PA.
Resident of Lower Saucon Township, 1966 – 1993.
Resident of Bethlehem, 1993 – present.
Married, 4 children, 13 grandchildren.