I have said that this online course is a participatory course -- a "virtual community" -- in which your class "presence" is crucial. Well, how will you and I know if you are "present" in the active manner we need you to be?
Here is a list of traits to practice on the discussion board that help create the successful interaction required for healthy community:
I will ask questions like:
- consistent involvement
- willingness to initiate
- raising interesting and appropriate topics
- adequate support for your views
- taking responsibility for keeping the conversation going
- willingness to listen and respond to others
- willingness to learn from others
- respect for and toleration of difference
- tenacity when you feel right
- a willingness to change when you don't feel so right
- clarity and eloquence in expression
- signs of intellectual growth
- decent manners
- "Did you actively contribute to creating an atmosphere conducive to better learning by all?"
- "Did you help others do their best work?"
- "Was the class better because you were in it?"