Training and Orientation
Right to Know
Contractor Safety PolicyIntroduction
To provide University personnel and contractors with a clear and concise understanding of the safety requirements and responsibilities needed while working on Lehigh University property.Policy
- Prior to starting a project, each contractor is required to review the work site and identify hazards that may occur while performing the job.
- The contractor shall ensure proper safety precautions are incorporated in accordance with OSHA's Code of Federal Regulation.
- The contractor shall ensure individuals working at the site are trained and are aware of potential hazards. These individuals should be provided with proper safety equipment to prevent accidental injury in accordance with OSHA's Code of Federal Regulation.
- The contractor shall ensure all personnel follow the guidelines of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Lehigh University's policies.
- The contractor shall inform Lehigh University's project manager (Facilities Services) if an OSHA inspector is onsite to conduct an inspection. This notification must be made prior to allowing the inspector to begin the inspection.
- Hazards Information
- Prior to the start of the project, the contractor shall contact Facilities Services to ensure they have received pertinent information for the project including permits, floor plans, and utility information.
- The contractor shall request MSDSs and shall ensure hazardous materials do not leave University property without the authorization of Environmental Health and Safety's Hazardous Materials Manager.
- Personal Protective Equipment
- The contractor is responsible for supplying all equipment necessary to conduct inspections, construction, and repairs on University property.
- The contractor, overseeing the project, is responsible for ensuring sub-contractors use appropriate safety equipment.
- It is the responsibility of the contractor to ensure all employees are trained in the proper use of work and safety equipment.
All contractors performing inspections, construction, and repairs at Lehigh University are to comply with the requirements of this policy. Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in an immediate shutdown of the work site and a breach of contract with Lehigh University.