Academic Support Services

Undergraduate Leave of Absence

Each student is expected to complete the baccalaureate degree by attending Lehigh for four consecutive academic years. Throughout their education, if students choose to take some time away from Lehigh for any reason, they can request a leave of absence. Students requesting a Leave of Absence should contact the Associate Dean of Students Office as soon as possible. After talking with staff in the Dean of Students Office, students must submit a petition (PDF) to the SOS Committee for a Leave of Absence.

The form must be signed by the student's faculty adviser, associate dean of the college and the completed form must be submitted prior to the start of any subsequent enrollment at another college or university.

Students wishing to take courses while they are away must also complete the Transfer of Credit Form. Please visit the Registrar's web site for the complete policy on a leave of Absence or Transfer credits.

Any student who is uncertain about attending a future fall or spring term at Lehigh University is urged to discuss the matter with the Associate Dean of Students prior to taking any action to withdraw or attend another college or university.

Students may take courses at another institution during a summer term without requesting an academic leave of absence. Check with the Registrar's Office for limitations and processes for transfer course approval.

Important information for all students requesting a Leave of Absence (LOA)