Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway was born Chicago, Illinois on the 21st of July in 1899. He grew up with both parents in a very well rounded, but strict household. His mother exposed him and his five siblings to cultural opportunities at every chance she could get. At 17 years old, Hemingway had his first work published. Hemingway received a job working a newspaper where he was exposed to the night life of socialites. This fascinated him. Soon after, he became a Red Cross Volunteer for World War I after showing much interest in it. Through this organization, he traveled around the world, seeing most of Europe and ultimately getting wounded, resulting in being sent home. Once home, he met his wife with whom he traveled throughout Europe and had a baby. It is in Europe, specifically Spain, where he found his muse for many of his novels and short stories, such as The Sun Also Rises. He and his wife loved the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain as well as the European life style.
I chose to write about Hemingway because after reading The Sun Also Rises and visiting Spain, I understood where and how his passion for the country and lifestyle arose. Also, after reading about Hemingway’s childhood of being exposed to the arts, it reminded me of my relationship with my parents: they are always trying to get me to see plays, operas, shows, and so on.

www.ernesthemingway.com