Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Ezra Pound

I choose Ezra Pound because I had never read any of his work before In a Station of the Metro. The website I choose is http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/ezrapound it gives a brief biography and a list of the 25 poems written by Pound. Pound was born in Hailey, Idaho in 1885 he went to UPenn for two years and graduated from Hamilton College. One of the more interesting happenings in his life was his arrest on charges of treason during World War II for broadcasting fascist propaganda.

While the poem is short and simple it captures his experience with vivid language and artistic beauty. Additionally, I can relate to his experience and am impressed that he found the words to describe this type of situation. There many times in passing when I have seen a beautiful face or interesting person and there is a certain excitement or intrigue which passes without much further thought. Pound encapsulates this feeling perfectly relating the sudden emotion to viewing another beautiful creation of nature: " Petals on a wet, black bough."