For Lehigh's Shane Welsh '13, it was already been a very productive 2013 on the map, with the wrestler knocking off No. 9 Nick Lester of Oklahoma and No. 7 Scott Sakaguchi of Oregon State. Welsh (16-5), the defending EIWA Champion at 149 lbs, is riding an 11-match winning streak, is currently ranked 18th in his weight class and became second Lehigh wrestler this season to be named EIWA Wrestler of the Week.
In addition to being a nationally ranked wrestler, Welsh is finishing up his senior year with the PC Rossin College of Engineering. The ChemE major has spent a lot of time flying around the country on job interviews during the first half of the wrestling season.
"Balancing wrestling and engineering is a very tough challenge here at Lehigh," explained Welsh. "We are often working out twice a day for wrestling, so time management was something I had to learn quickly and well. I really enjoy challenging myself on the mat and in the classroom.”
Welsh is also a student in the IBE program and is pursuing a biotechnology minor in addition to his CHE degree. He will be entering an engineering rotational program called the Technical Professional Development Program at Hospira following graduation.
- LU: Shane Welsh named EIWA Wrestler of the Week
- The Morning Call: Shane Welsh has big weekend for Mountain Hawks
- MatSci's Hamlin honored for athletic, academic achievements
- Positive transition for Lehigh wrestler Joey Napoli
- Official Website: Lehigh University Wrestling
- LU Wrestling Profile: Shane Welsh
- Hospira: Technical Professional Development Program