Department: Civil and Environmental Engineering
Position: Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture Professor
Address: Center for Advanced Technology for Large Structural Systems (ATLSS Center)
117 ATLSS Drive, IMBT Labs
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Areas of Research
- Life-Cycle Performance, Safety, Reliability, Risk and Optimization of Structural Systems
- Bridge Inspection, Maintenance, and Management Based on Life-Cycle Cost Under Uncertainty
- Reliability and Risk Oriented Structural Health Monitoring
- Risk-Based Decision Making in Structural Engineering
- Stochastic Analysis and Optimization of Networks of Damaged Structures Under Extreme Events
- Application of Methods of Probability and Statistics to Civil and Marine Engineering
- Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics
- Life Cycle of Structural Systems
- Earthquake Engineering and Simulation
- Civil Infrastructure Resilience to Disasters
Dr. Dan Frangopol joined the Lehigh faculty in 2006 as the first holder of the Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture. He is a leading international figure in life-cycle performance, maintenance, reliability and optimization of structural systems, whose work has had a significant impact on bridge and infrastructure engineering.
His research interests include the application of probabilistic concepts and methods to civil and marine engineering including structural reliability, probability-based design and optimization of buildings, bridges and naval ships, structural health monitoring, life-cycle performance maintenance and management of structures and infrastructures under uncertainty, risk-based assessment and decision making, infrastructure resilience to disasters, and stochastic mechanics.
In 2010, Frangopol was inducted as a Distinguished Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). He is an honorary member of the Romanian Academy of Technical Sciences, and has received two honorary doctorates and numerous awards, including the prestigious Nathan M. Newmark and T. Y. Lin medals, and some of the field’s highest honors from ASCE, IABSE and IASSAR, among others. He is the founding editor of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, an international peer-reviewed journal included in the Science Citation Index, and the founding president of the International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS) and the International Association for Life- Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE). He authored or coauthored approximately 300 books, book chapters, and refereed journal articles.
Prior to his appointment at Lehigh, Frangopol served for 23 years on the faculty of the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has also served on the faculty at the Institute of Civil Engineering in Bucharest, Romania, and was a research associate at the University of Liège in Belgium. He has supervised 35 Ph.D. and 50 M.S. students -- fifteen are now university professors, and several are prominent in professional practice and research laboratories. He also served as visiting professor and external member of Ph.D. thesis committees at universities around the world, and presented plenary keynotes and invited lectures at major conferences.
Education (including honorary doctorates and honorary professorships)
- Honorary Doctorate, University of Liège (Belgium)
- Honorary Doctorate, Technical University of Civil Engineering (Bucharest, Romania)
- Honorary Professor, Tongji University (Shanghai, China)
- Honorary Professor, Southeast University (Nanjing, China)
- Honorary Professor, Tianjin University (Tianjin, China)
- Doctor of Applied Sciences, University of Liège (Belgium)
- Dipl.-Ing., Institute of Civil Engineering (Bucharest, Romania)