Edward George Uhl was the retired Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Fairchild Industries Inc., formerly in Chantilly, Virginia and currently in Lake Zurich, Illinois.
Youth and early career
Uhl was a native of Elizabeth, NJ. He graduated from Lehigh in 1940 with a B.S. in engineering physics. As an undergraduate, he was a member of various organizations including the rifle team, the Newtonian Society and Phi Beta Kappa National Honorary Scholarship Society. He also served as Treasurer and President of the Physics Society, President of Tau Beta Pi National Honorary Engineering Society, and Post-President of Army Ordnance. In addition, he received a mathematics prize, and freshman and sophomore honors.
Following college, Uhl served as a regular officer in the Ordnance Corps, U.S. Army, from 1941 to 1947, when he resigned with the rank of Lt. Colonel. He then joined the Martin Company as a research engineer and rose through the ranks to assume the position of Vice President of Engineering in 1952 and Vice President General Manager in 1957.
Career at Fairchild Industries
Mr. Uhl was General Manager and Vice President of Technical Administration at Ryan Aeronautical Company for two years before joining Fairchild Industries in 1961. When Mr. Uhl began his career with Fairchild, the company's traditional role was that of manufacturing and servicing military and commercial aircraft. He served as president for 15 years before being named chairman in 1976. During this time the company expanded its capabilities and diversified its business base into new areas utilizing its technological expertise.
During his 40 year career in aerospace, Mr. Uhl was responsible for managing the Matador, Bullpup and Pershing missiles; the 404, FH227, Metro, Merlin and SF340 commercial aircraft; the P5M, C119 gunship, F105 and the A10 military aircraft; and the Pegasus, ATS 6 and TDRS satellites. The ATS 6 served as a model for today's communication satellites. The A10 Thunderbolt II close air support aircraft played a major role in destroying the Iraqi tank presence during the Desert Storm War.
Contributions to Lehigh
Uhl received an honorary Doctor of Sciences degree from his alma mater in 1975. Active in Lehigh affairs, he served on several academic committees, as well as the national committee for the $100-million New Century Fund in which he served as campaign for the Maryland-Washington, D.C. region. He was elected to Lehigh University's Board of Trustees in 1979, and served as Chairman from 1986-1990.
Additional positions and honors
Uhl was the owner and chairman of Easton (MD) Ford Company. He served as director of several corporations: First National Bank of Orlando, Maryland National Bank, Vanguard Technologies International Inc., American Satellite Corp., and Bunker Ramo Corp. As of 1994, he was a director of Stabler Companies Inc. and a member of the Board of Trustees of Johns Hopkins University.
In addition, he was a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and served as a member of the Board of Nominations for the Aviation Hall of Fame Board, and the Board of Governors for the National Space Club.
Uhl was married to Mary Stuart Brugh. He had two daughters, Carol Uhl Nordlinger (d 2008) and Cynthia Uhl McKitrick, two sons, Kim E. Uhl, Lehigh class of 1971 and Scott M. Uhl, Lehigh Class of 1972, and two stepsons, George A. Hatcher, Jr. of Easton, Maryland and William Hatcher. He also had ten grandchildren.