"Brecht's Theater in Özdamar's and Pamuk's Fiction." Denver, GSA, October 2013.
"Representations of Political Theater in Contemporary German and Turkish Novels. Krakow, Poland, Aesthetics in Action: 19th International Congress of Aesthetics, July 2013.
"German Clubs and the German Honor Society." Lancaster, Central PA AATG, September 2012.
"Theater as Metaphor in Orhan Pamuk's Novel Snow." Nicosia, Cyprus, 13th Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), July 2012.
- "Musical Alienation in Works by Thomas Bernhard and Bertolt Brecht." Louisville, GSA, September 2011.
- "Concepts of Fremde and Fremdheit in Yoko Tawada's Writings." Honolulu, Brecht in/and Asia: 13th Symposium of the International Brecht Society (IBS), May 2010.
- "Global Contexts in Texts by Anna Seghers." Washington, GSA, October 2009.
- "Exile and Return: Anna Seghers in Mexico and the GDR." Berlin, Germany, 5th International and Interdisciplinary Conference Alexander von Humboldt 2009: Travels between Europe and the Americas, July 2009.
- "Pina Bausch's Cross-Cultural Work in Cinema and Dance." St. Paul, GSA, October 2008.
- "Brechtian Traces in Pina Bausch's Choreographic and Cinematic Work." Helsinki, Finland, 11th Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), July 2008.
- "Pina Bausch's Nefes in the Context of her Aesthetics of Theatre, Dance, and Film." Ankara, Turkey, Aesthetics Bridging Cultures: 17th International Congress of Aesthetics, July 2007.
- "Eisler and Brecht: New Eisler Interpretations." Valletta, Malta, Tenth Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), July 2006.
- "Fatzer's Fall: From Brecht to Müller to a Recent French Production in Lyon." Augsburg, Germany, Brecht and Death / Brecht und der Tod: 12th Symposium of the International Brecht Society (IBS), July 2006.
- "Anna Seghers's Postwar Prose: Attempt at an Intercultural Reading." Bloomington, Indiana, Conference on Trajectories: The Past and Future of German Studies, March 2006.
- "Exile Experiences and Hybrid Identities in Anna Seghers's Writings." Honolulu, Fourth Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, January 2006.
- "Hanns Eisler in a Post-Communist Age." Milwaukee, GSA, September 2005.
- "Anna Seghers: Intercultural Approaches." Pamplona, Spain, Ninth Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), August 2004.
- "Masks in Anna Seghers's Narratives." Louisville, 20th Century Literature Conference, February 2004.
- "Hanns Eisler Composing for the Film Frauenschicksale: A Musical Anti-Mahagonny?" Berlin, Germany, Mahagonny.com: 11th Symposium of the International Brecht Society (IBS), June 2003.
- "Bentley on Brecht: An Interview." New York, MLA, December 2002.
- "Anna Seghers's Mexican Prose." San Juan, Puerto Rico, ACLA, April 2002.
- "Exploring Identities through Narrative Strategies: Bertolt Brecht and Giordano Bruno." Naples, Italy, 25th Conference of the International Movement for Interdisciplinary Study of Estrangement (IMISE), July 2001.
- "Crisanta: A Mexican Tale from the GDR." Tucson, Women in German Conference, October 2000.
- "Mahagonny, Macheath, and Murieta: Forms of Epic Theater in Works by Bertolt Brecht and Pablo Neruda." Bergen, Norway, Seventh Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), August 2000.
- "Film Music: The Case of Hanns Eisler." Tallahassee, On the Edge of Time: 25th Annual Conference on Film and Literature, January 2000.
- "Hanns Eisler's Film Music: Theory and Practice." Also: Chair of the session on Dissonant Identities: Sound, Culture, Politics. Atlanta, GSA, October 1999.
- "Teaching Bertolt Brecht: A Workshop." Lancaster, Pennsylvania AATG, November 1998.
- Panelist on the session on "Videoconferencing: Four Years of Cooperative Experience." Mechanicsburg, PA, First Annual Meeting of CAPE: A Community of Agile Partners in Education, November 1998.
- "Bertolt Brecht and Pablo Neruda: Poetry and Politics." San Diego, Brecht 100 <=> 2000: Culture and Politics in These Times, May 1998.
- "Hanns Eisler's Film Music for DEFA." Amherst, MA, Conference on The Cinema of Eastern Germany: The View from North America, October 1997.
- "'Commedia dell'Arte' and 'Verfremdung': Ferruccio Busoni's Epic Theatre." Utrecht, Netherlands, Fifth Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), August 1996.
- "Ferruccio Busoni." Toronto, Why Theatre? Choices for the New Century: An International Conference and Theatre Festival, November 1995.
- "Busoni, Weill und Brecht: Zur Entwicklung des epischen Musiktheaters." Augsburg, Germany, Ninth Symposium of the International Brecht Society (IBS), March 1995.
- "Caribaldi and Casals: Literature and Music in the Works of Thomas Bernhard." Graz, Austria, Fourth Conference of the International Society for the Study of European Ideas (ISSEI), August 1994.
- "Thomas Bernhard's Literary Scores." Morgantown, West Virginia University Eighteenth Annual Colloquium on Literature and Film: Literature and the Other Arts, September 1993.
- "An Opera for Three Pennies, a Violin for Ten Francs: Brecht's and Stravinsky's Approaches to Epic Opera." Newark, Delaware, Brecht Symposium, February 1992.
- "Buchpremiere" at the Brecht Zentrum in Berlin, Germany. I presented Das epische Musiktheater bei Strawinsky und Brecht in December 1991.
- "Brecht und die Oper: Seine Sprache im Spiegel der Musiktheorie." Augsburg, Germany, Conference of the International Brecht Society (IBS), December 1991.
- "Fictions of the Distant Past in German Literature." Response paper for the session German II: Language and Literature After 1700, Chicago, M/MLA, November 1991.
- "Thomas Bernhard's Wittgensteins Neffe: Biography, Literature, Music." Kansas City, M/MLA, November 1990.
- "Strawinsky und Brecht: Zur Poetik der epischen Oper." Bloomington, Indiana, German Faculty Colloquium, October 1988.
- "Le livre et le violon: Literature and, as, or against Music in Stravinsky/Ramuz' Histoire du soldat." Boston, NEMLA, November 1987.
- "Stravinsky and Brecht: Unknown Correspondences." Bloomington, Indiana, Comparative Literature Music and the Arts Colloquium, March 1987.