WWW Authoring: Suggested Sites for More Information
General WWW Authoring Information:
Introduction to HTML and URLs
- By Ian Graham, author of The HTML Sourcebook.
Click on ToC to navigate. Explains parts of an HTML document in sequence;
HTML 3+ compliant; includes Netscape and Microsoft extensions.
World-Wide Web FAQ
- Answers to a wide range of questions about how the WWW works and how to
author for the WWW. Assumes varying levels of Internet expertise.
WebMastery Resource Lists
- Bibliographies/Link lists of Web Style manuals, HTML & Learning HTML, WWW information, servers, browsers & images
Introduction to HTML 3.2
- Information on HTML 3.2, the proposed newest HTML standard.
Creating Net Sites
- Links to Netscape's authoring guides and documentation, as well as others'.
- Hypertext Theory as if the WWWeb Matters
- A discussion of Hypertext Theory as it relates to the web, and how to create good Hypertext.
Netscape Extensions to HTML 2.0 (including Backgrounds)
- Netscape's documentation for tables, backgrounds, and dynamic updating.
Netscape Extensions to HTML 3.0 (including Client-Side Imagemaps)
- Netscape's documentation for client-side imagemaps, style extensions.
Netscape Tips on Creating High-Impact Documents
- Information on Interlaced GIFs, JPEGs, image size & resolution.
The HTML Writers Guild
- Organization for HTML writers. Includes links to
HTML Resources, such as
useful URLs, tutorials & mailing list archive, style guides & specifications.
WWW Authoring Information
- Frames-based subject-organized listing of WWW authoring guides,
including basic and advanced HTML, multimedia, images, perl, java,
and other topics.
Bare Bones Guide to HTML
- Reference work covering all HTML 3.2 tags.
- Sun's Guide to Web Style
- A reference work of a Style Guide. Includes up-to-date information on
content considerations, including Java.
The World Wide Web- tools for aspiring web weavers
- From NASA. Includes links togeneral WWW, general HTML, advanced HTML, VRML, etc. guides.
- W3C's Style Guide for Online Hypertext
- Straight from the horse's mouth, this is the Style Guide from
the WWW Consortium, written by Tim Berners-Lee, the founder of the
World Wide Web. A little out of date, though.
- Yale C/AIM WWW Style Manual
- Another perspective on WWW style; one of the "canonical" guides. Includes links to tutorials.
- Find out which HTML features your browser supports.
A Kinder, Gentler HTML Validator
- Enter the URL of your page and have it checked for proper HTML.
- Doctor HTML
- Enter your URL and get a slightly more rigorous test report, including
size and time to load estimates.
HTML Form-Testing Home Page
- Test out your HTML-based form to see if it's ok.
- Resources posted by a "how-to" magazine for web developers.
- Primarily business-focused Web developers' magazine; Ask Dr. Website is
a question-and-answer posting for "how-to's".
Development and Design
- Art and the Zen of Web Sites
- A humorous but practical guide to thinking about your web design.
Webmaster Reference Library
- Searchable bookshelf of materials targeted at serious Web developers.
Web Developers' Virtual Library
- Heavily-organized collection of reference materials for web developers, including an encyclopedia of web terms, plus a "library" of information resource listings.
The Web Designer
- Fairly simple listings of sites for web developers.
Includes style guides and HTML tutorials.
Web Design Information
- Instructions for image maps, forms, cgi scripts,
server side includes, access limitations, etc.
- Web Weavers' Bibliography
- Annotated Listing Of HTML-related papers, style guides, and tutorials.
NCSA HTTPd Server Overview
- Documentation for the Web Server software we run at Lehigh.
NCSA HTTPd Tutorial: SSI
- How to do Server-Side Includes in NCSA HTTPd (manufacturer's instructions)
Matt Kruse's tutorial on SSI
- A tutorial on Server-Side Includes.
Jeff Spirko's tutorial on SSI
- Server-side includes specifically for Lehigh users.
A CGI Programmer's Reference
- Links to information for CGI programmers.
Netscape Dynamic Documents
- Server push & client pull; updating documents dynamically (while the client is viewing them).
- Netscape Frames Tutorial
- Illustrated tutorial on creating Netscape Frames, from NewbieNet.
- Information about the Java programming language from SUN.
JAH, 17 Sept 1996.