About UBS UBS Vision and Core Purpose UBSi News Give Us Feedback

Licensing Program FAQ

Q: How can I acquire Lehigh University artwork/logos?

A: Lehigh University will only provide artwork to approved licensees. If you are an approved licensee who is in need of this, please contact SMA at (317) 829-5690.

Q: How do I apply for a license?

A: A license application can be found at www.smaworks.com. If you have any questions regarding this application, please contact John Mybeck or Brian Young at (317) 829-5690.

Q: Where can I get a logo to use on a document/flyer/report?

A: Lehigh’s internal community can access logos, Lehigh’s color palate, and typography standards at Guide to Communicating Lehigh. This is an internal site and you must log in using your Lehigh user ID and password. External groups may contact an individual on our contacts page to request a logo.

Q: What happens if a trademark is used without a license?

A: The University is legally obligated to enforce its trademark ownership rights. SMA and University personnel work closely with federal, state and local law enforcement organizations to shut down illegal uses.

Q: Where can I find a list of approved licensees?

A: The list of officially licensed vendors is continually being changed. Updates are issued and posted on a monthly basis. See Contacts for the most recently updated list.

Q: How do I know if a product is properly licensed?

A: Lehigh University and SMA are proud supporters of the Independent Label Program. All licensees are required to display the “Collegiate Licensed Products” Label on their products either via a hangtag or a sticker. This label should also contain manufacturer information as well.

Q: How do I determine if the product is subject to royalty fees?

A: Royalty fees apply unless an exemption is granted by the University. Royalty exemptions may be granted for:

  • Goods purchased by the University for internal consumption and not re-sold (use by University faculty, staff, and students) will be exempted from royalties. Examples are: athletic uniforms, binders for inter- or intradepartmental use, recognition pins and plaques, calendars and schedules of events, containers, napkins, photographs, and works of art.
  • Goods manufactured or purchased by the University promoting the University and its programs. Examples include student recruitment materials, fund-raising items, advertisement of University programs, and notices of special events.
  • Student organization bona fide fundraisers that have been approved through the Office of the Dean of Students and the Office of Institutional Purchasing.
  • Royalty exemptions will not be granted for:
    • Goods purchased by the University, University affiliates, University bookstores or gift/concession centers for resale;
    • Student groups selling to the general public, or students engaged in business for personal profit while making a nominal contribution to a student organization for the purpose of gaining either the exempt status or the privilege of selling on campus;
    • Goods purchased by the University for external use (end user is not a member of the University faculty, staff, or student body) when the cost of the product is passed to the consumer through fees or contributions.
    • All purchases of merchandise bearing Lehigh University’s name or trademarks, regardless of whether or not the purchase is subject to royalty, will be from licensed manufacturers. (All inquiries of this type should be submitted to Patricia Reich in the Purchasing Department.)

Q: Must I purchase a product bearing the Lehigh University name or mark from a licensed manufacturer? Why?

A: Yes, All purchases of merchandise bearing Lehigh University’s name or trademarks, regardless of whether or not the purchase is subject to royalty, must be from licensed manufacturers. The licensees have agreed to supply the University with quality, safe merchandise, and pay the University a royalty fee for the privilege to provide these products with the University marks. In exchange, the University has granted the supplier a unique opportunity to provide such merchandise.

Q: What can SMA and Lehigh do to assist the merchandising efforts of retailers who carry Lehigh licensed products?

A: If you are a retailer interested in carrying Lehigh University licensed products, contact SMA at (317) 829-5690 to find out about promotional opportunities that might be available to you.