Congratulations on your acceptance to Lehigh! As you pack your bags and prepare to come to Bethlehem, know that you are about to join a community of almost 1000 international students and scholars from 76 nations. The staff in the Office of International Students and Scholars is making final preparations for your arrival, including a very informative Orientation program that will answer many of the questions you may have about your new home.
As an international student or scholar, one of the most important things you can do is become involved in activities on campus. Lehigh has many clubs and organizations you can join, including the Global Union, language exchange programs, and many others.
- The academic system might be different from the academic system in your home country. For example, there are differences in how exams or assignments are given. There is also a great emphasis on information systems.
- Food at the University is available in cafeterias, snack bars, and restaurants. There are also reasonably priced restaurants close to campus, and grocery stores. Grocery stores do carry a wide variety of traditional American and ethnic foods. Some food stores from different cultural backgrounds can also be found. It is very common for graduate students to shop in grocery stores and do their own cooking at home.
- Different religions are observed at Lehigh. Roman Catholic masses are offered in the University Chapel and in the many parishes close to campus. Services for Muslims, Protestants, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, and others are available nearby.
- Health insurance is vital in the United States. Lehigh requires you have medical insurance coverage. The university offers coverage, and you should be absolutely sure to take that, or any comparable insurance that you may find, since medical costs are very high.
- Note: The tuberculosis test is obligatory.
If you need any further assistance regarding your visa or anything mentioned above, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars in Coxe Hall. We are sure that your experience here at Lehigh will be a positive and enriching one, and we look forward to welcoming you to our campus. If we can be of any help, please contact us at (610) 758-4859.