Mission, Vision, Values
University Alcohol Guidelines
Child Care Center
Conference & Special Housing Services
Procedures for Lehigh University Sponsored Events Where Alcoholic Beverages are to be Served
The following information is also available for print or download in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
All aspects of campus life are expected to support and enhance the educational mission of the University. As a residential academic community, Lehigh University seeks a quality of social life consistent with a positive living, learning and working environment.
The abuse and misuse of alcohol is incompatible with the aims of an academic community. Therefore, it is expected that all faculty, staff, students, alumni and their respective guests will make responsible, lawful decisions about the use of alcoholic beverages. Alcoholic beverages are considered an amenity for a social or business occasion and never the purpose or focus of the occasion/event.
The University permits the purchase, sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages under certain conditions and has established guidelines to reduce risk and liability in these instances as well as educate our community and provide an enjoyable atmosphere conducive to positive social interaction for all its members.
REASON FOR GUIDELINES
The following procedures and guidelines have been developed so that the members of the University community can make healthy and safe choices about the serving of alcohol.
The university is committed to upholding local, state, and federal law, requiring proper management of events where alcoholic beverages will be served. By upholding and following appropriate guidelines, the university strives to prevent the misuse of alcoholic beverages and minimize the risk to the University.
The following procedures apply to all university sponsored events where alcohol is served.University sponsored events are ones which are:
- expressly authorized, aided, conducted, or supervised by the University; or
- funded in whole or in part by the University; or
- initiated and conducted or promoted by an officially-registered student organization, University department, faculty member or employee for the benefit of or on behalf of the University.
Please reference the Controller’s Office Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement Policy and Procedures for additional information related to departmental functions.
Lehigh University Alcohol Service Guidelines for All Events:
- To hold a University-sponsored event where alcohol will be served, all faculty and staff must obtain approval from the appropriate department head, Dean, or Vice President.
- For events when dinner is served with wine (the wait staff will be responsible for pouring the wine with dinner - no carafes, decanters, or wine bottles are permitted on the table) receptions with alcohol may only be held prior to the meal and are limited to one hour.
- For events when dinner is served and no wine is served with dinner - receptions with alcohol may only be held prior to the meal and are limited to two hours.
- For receptions without dinner a two hour continuous service of alcohol is permitted.
- Non-alcoholic beverages in sufficient quantities in proportion to the number of guests must be available. In addition, substantial amounts of hors d’oeuvres or other food as determined by Lehigh University Dining Services, in relation to the number of guests, must be served and be located in visible, accessible areas.
Procedures for Lehigh University Sponsored Events Held on Campus (Indoor or Outdoor Venues):
- All university sponsored events where alcohol is to be served require a Lehigh University Request to Serve Alcoholic Beverages for University Sponsored Events form to be completed. This form must be signed by the appropriate department head, Dean, or Vice President, indicating their approval of the service of alcohol.
- The Request Form is provided by the scheduling department responsible for reserving the space where alcohol is to be served (Conference and Special Housing Services, University Center, Zoellner Arts Center, Goodman/Rauch Field House/Taylor Gym, Stabler Arena).
- The Request Form should be completed by the department requesting alcohol service; the department retains the yellow copy of the form and the white and pink copies are forwarded to the department responsible for reserving the space. Once the scheduling department receives the white and pink copy, the white copy will be sent to Dining Services, and the pink copy will be retained by the scheduling department.
- Special approval is required for Lehigh University events when the department is requesting service of alcohol outside the above guidelines (i.e. extended hours). The University department requesting the extended hours must forward the Lehigh University Request to Serve Alcoholic Beverages for University Sponsored Events form to the Executive Director of Student Auxiliary Services for approval. If approved, the Executive Director of Student Auxiliary Services will indicate approval on the form and return it to the requesting department.
- The department sponsoring an on-campus event must contact Dining Services to make all food and alcohol service arrangements. All alcoholic beverage services require a University approved bartender who will be provided through Lehigh University Dining Services.
- The department sponsoring an on-campus event must contact University Police to arrange for Event Staff when 25 or more undergraduate students are present.
Procedures for Lehigh University Sponsored Events at Private Residences and/or Off-Campus Venues
- The University expects that all employees exercise good judgment and manage the use of alcoholic beverages in a responsible manner. All use of alcohol must comply with applicable laws and the alcohol service guidelines stated above. It is recommended that, whenever possible, the University’s food service contractor be used to serve alcohol at all University-sponsored events, regardless of where they are held. All university sponsored events held in private residences where the service of alcohol is provided by Wood Co./Sodexho require a Lehigh University Request to Serve Alcoholic Beverages for University Sponsored Events form to be completed. This form must be signed by the appropriate department head, Dean, or Vice President, indicating approval of the service of alcohol.