IX. Evaluating the Search
Consider the factors that may have enabled a department to hire a woman, underrepresented minority or other candidates, and keep a record of good practices and successful searches for future reference.
- Consider the following if the applicant pool was not as large, as qualified, or as diverse as was anticipated:
- Could the job description have been constructed in a way that would have brought in a broader pool of candidates?
- Could the department have recruited more actively?
- Were there criteria for this position that were consistently not met by women and underrepresented candidates?
- Review why women, underrepresented minorities or other candidates who decline positions chose not to accept.
- What reasons did they offer? Consider as many factors as you can identify.
- Are there things that the department and/or college could do to make it more attractive to such candidates in the future?
- Be sure that any analysis and insight with department and college decision makers is part of future search processes.
Candidates Who Did Not Accept Offer Form
The Reason for Declining Faculty Appointment Office form was designed to assist the department/college/Provost’s Office to keep track of offers not accepted and lessons learned, so that the process can be improved in the future. The form should be completed by the person who extended and negotiated the offer with the candidates. (see Appendix 4)
Note: The forms in this document are examples only. Complete the latest online Word or PDF versions at http://www.lehigh.edu/~inprv/faculty/forms.html.