How the Ombuds Office Can Help
What We Do
Although every situation is different, we are available to:
- Listen, which may be all you want.
- Offer information about Lehigh University policies and procedures.
- Discuss concerns with you and clarify all the issues.
- Help identify and evaluate a range of options for resolving a problem.
- Gather information and offer referrals to other resources.
- Offer coaching, to help you prepare for a difficult conversation.
- Facilitate communication, indirectly or through shuttle diplomacy.
- Work for collaborative agreements through mediation.
- Track perceived issues and trends.
- Make recommendations for institutional improvements.
What We Do Not Do
We will do everything we can to help, but our office does not:
- Engage in fact-finding or make determinations about right and wrong.
- Provide legal advice or psychological counseling.
- Act as an advocate for either party involved in the conflict.
- Impose disciplinary, remedial, or other actions on university faculty, staff, students or departments.
- Keep personally identifiable records on file.