The Lehigh University Catholic Student Union Constitution
The name of the organization shall be the Catholic Student Union.
The purpose of the Newman Center is to organize and unify the Lehigh Catholic community, to assist the members of the Lehigh community in coming to a personal adult expression of the faith, to provide a visible student symbol of active Catholic life to all Lehigh students, and to ease the transition from home-life to college-life and concurrently ease the particular challenges to Catholic ideals and teachings resulting from this transition.
Membership is open to all Students of the Lehigh community as well as Graduate students and Faculty. Members may not participate in activities which compromise the purpose of the Catholic Student Union . Members must be active in at least one committee. Membership can be reviewed by the exec board as needed. Executive Board Members must attend 75% of all possible meetings each semester or a replacement election may be held.
- Vice President
- VP of Activities
- VP of Service
- VP of Membership
- VP of Greek Life
- Religious Life Coordinator
- Web Curator
To be considered for office, a student must have been an active Catholic Student Union member for at least one semester prior to the election. Candidates must be students at Lehigh University and must remain to for the duration of the office. An application for office must be supported by at least three current Catholic Student Union members. Officers will be elected during the month of April.
- President: To act as official liaison and spokesperson for the Catholic Student Union with the Director of the Newman Center who is a Priest of the Diocese of Allentown. To preside over Executive Board and Catholic Student Union meetings. To call a general Catholic Student Union meeting at least once per semester. To aid in planning and to participate in any Catholic Student Union activities. To carry out all duties which are delegated by the Catholic Student Union.
- Vice-President: To take the place of the President when they are unable to be there. To aid in the planning of events. To report on the progress of the committees to the President. To aid in any paperwork that may be required to fill out.
- Secretary: To record the minutes of all Catholic Student Union and Executive Board meetings. To arrange for the distribution of minutes from the previous meeting to members. To promote activities and upcoming events via bulletin boards, e-mail, etc.
- Vice-President of Membership:To maintain a list of current members. To ensure that the elections process is fair. To take attendance at all meetings. To encourage new members and activities that promote the Newman Center.
- Vice-President of Service:To decide upon council involvement in service-related activities at the beginning of each semester. To designate leadership for each service activity. To organize service-related activities.
- Religious Life Coordinator: To coordinate, train, and schedule lectors, sacristans, basket passers, and Eucharistic ministers. To coordinate a religious retreat if interest in such activity exists. To set up speakers with the Director of the Newman Center for the duration of lent and other special activities.
- Vice President of Activities: To decide upon social activities with the specific goal of encouraging unity within the LU Catholic community. To designate leadership for each social activity. To encourage student use of the Newman Center by promoting facilities and activities.
- Vice President of Greek Life: To be a member from a Fraternity or Sorority and be the liaison person for Newman Center events and projects with the Intra-Fraternity Council and Panhel. Also to promote the Newman Center for Community Service as well as Philanthropy Through the Catholic Chaplain. The Vice-President for Greek Life is the official liason between the Newman Council and the Greek Life organizations on campus. He/she informs the Newman Council of the activities of Greek Life and coordinates any cooperative efforts between them.
- Web Curator: To take pictures at events and to post them on the website. To update the website as necessary and to upload the bulletin every week.
Regularly scheduled meetings shall be held twice a month in the Newman Center.
A quorum will consist of 25-50% of the regular members.
Each committee will be presided over by its Vice President.
No dues are collected. All requests for finances will go through the Director of the Newman Center -who is a Roman Catholic Priest of the Diocese of Allentown.
Amendments to the constitution require a vote of 2/3. Members are to be notified of the vote beforehand. Amendments must be approved by the Director of the Newman Center -who is a Roman Catholic Priest of the Diocese of Allentown.