Director, Center for Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Appointed to Lehigh Faculty: 1989
B.Sc., 1953; PhD., 1957; Metallurgy
University of Manchester, England
Research and Scholarship Areas:
- Manufacturing Systems and Technologies including Management
- Organization, Quality, Planning, Control and Sustainability
- Materials Science
- Microelectronics Manufacturing, or Micromanufacturing Technologies
- Manufacturing Systems (Materials, Processes, Equipment, Facilities,
Logistics, People, and their integration)
- Design and Innovation in Organizations, Products and Systems
- Environmental and Social Systems
- Design and Management Systems
- Industrial Archaeology, and Futures Forecasting
- Microelectronics and associated manufacturing
- Curriculum Development, education of the future workforce
Honors, Awards, and Professional Society Memberships:
- Engineer of the Year, Engineers Week 2004 - Pennsylvania Society
of Professional Engineers, Lehigh Valley Chapter on behalf of the
Lehigh Valley Engineering Council.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Joseph A. Siegel Service Award
for significant and unique contributions to benefit the Society,
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers, College of Fellows, 1993.
Beta Delta, International Honor Society (1992) [President Beta Pi
Lehigh Chapter (1994-5)].
Xi, Scientific Research Society (1974) [Chair Lehigh Univ. Chap.
- US Senate Productivity Improvement Award 1983-4, member IBM Manufacturing
Technology Institute team.
- Fulbright Fellowship, review UK Design Management curricula, Fall
- Leader, study of business and industry in Pakistan on behalf of
US State Department, Agency of International Development, 1983.
- Registered Professional Engineer - Manufacturing Engineering,
(PE) State of California, 1978.
- Certified Manufacturing Engineer, CMfgE, Material Removal, 1972-5;
Electrical/Electronics Manufacturing 1975 - life renewal 1990 [Society
of Manufacturing Engineers].
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Chair, East Coast Region 3, 2003
- International Vice-President 1999, Secretary/Treasurer 2000.
- International Director 1992-93, 1995-96, 2001-2.
- Member various chapter and international councils and committees,
Future City Competition Advisory Board (Engineers' Week) 2000-2009.
Engineers Week Steering Committee, SME representative 2002 and 2003.
- Engineers' Club of the Lehigh Valley, chair 2004-7
- Lehigh Valley Engineering Council, Chair 1997-8.
- Member American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers and the Engineers' Club of the
- North American Editor, Journal of Electronics Manufacturing 1991-2003.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Manufacturing Systems since 1984.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Manufacturing Processes since 1999.
- Section Leader, Nuclear Fuel Materials Dev. English Electric Co.
Ltd., Whetstone, UK
- Manufacturing Methods Dev. Rolls-Royce Aero Engine Div., Derby,
- IBM (UK) Ltd., Manufacturing Research Lab., Hursley; transfer
to IBM Technology Div. VT; parallel assignments as prof. of Mechanical
Eng. , Univ. of VT, and Southern Univ., LA; subsequently IBM Corporate,
Manufacturing Technology Institute.
Representative Publications (some co-authored*):
- Embedding Sustainability into the Engineering Curriculum, Fall 2010 Mid-Atlantic ASEE Conference, Villanova University, October 15-16, 2010.
- The Development of the First Year Engineering Experience w. Jaime D. Alava, Fall 2010 Mid-Atlantic ASEE Conference, Villanova University, October 15-16, 2010.
- Book chapter: Handbook ot Technology Management, Wiley, edited by Hossein Bidgoli, Vol. 1, Ch. 74, "Manufacturing Systems Engineering," pp. 1029-1042, January 2010. ISBN 978-0-470-24947-5.
- Working paper 09T-012 based on an after dinner speech to the Second Manufacturing Education Forum: Moving Forward - "Globalization - A Vision of a New World," Farmingdale State College (SUNY), Nov. 14, 2008, accessible via http://www.lehigh.edu/ise/pubs.html
- The Pedagogic and Technological Evolution of a Manufacturing Systems Engineering (MSE) Graduate Program, "Paper 1561, Proceedings, 38th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Oct. 23-25, 2008, Saratoga Springs, NY (cd).
- Book chapter: Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing, Wiley, pp.343, edited by Myer Kutz, ISBN 978-0-471-72637-1, 2007, Chapter 3, pp. 79-94, “Organization, Management and Improvement of Manufacturing Systems.” (March 2007).
- “The Future City Competition - A Successful STEM Experience for Middle School Students,” Proceedings, ASEE New England Section, Spring Meeting, University of Rhode Island, April 21, 2007.
- “Discovery, Learning and Research in a Classroom Factory,” Proceedings, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Section Fall Conference, Temple University, 2007 (CD).
- “Manufacturing Globalization and Human Factors,” w. co-authors Schlie, T. E. (LU) and Webster, N. D. (GM), FAIM 2006, 16th. International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing, pp. 1119-1123, Volume 2, June 26-28, 2006, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland, ISBN 1874653933.
- “Ethics: Bringing Reality to First Year Engineers,” Proceedings, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Section Spring Meeting, Brooklyn, April 29, 2006.
- “Manufacturing: The Future,” Proceedings 16th National Manufacturing Week 2006, Rosemont, IL - The Future of Engineering and Manufacturing, Design Engineering Session 2D21, March 21, 2006.
- “The Evolving Production Enterprise,” Proceedings, 18th International Conference on Production Research, Salerno Italy, August, 2005.
- “Global Education for Manufacturing-An International Curriculum,”
w. Ingrid Hunt et al, Proceedings, Intelligent Manufacturing Systems
Conference, Como, Italy, May 2004 (CD).
- “Knowledge-base requirements for the future workforce,” w. Seray
Ozturk, Proceedings, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Section Spring Conference,
Engineering Student Retention in the 21st Century, Raritan Valley
Community College - April 23-24, 2004 (CD).
- “Developing a Practical Engineering Experience for First Year
Students,” w. Seray Ozturk, Proceedings, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Section
Spring Conference, Engineering Student Retention in the 21st Century,
Raritan Valley Community College - April 23-24, 2004 (CD).
- “Future Directions for Manufacturing,” Proceedings, R3MEMCON,
SME East Coast Region 3 Annual Conference, Lehigh University, October
10-11, 2003 (CD). Amended version delivered to a seminar, Intelligent
Manufacturing Systems - Global Education for Manufacturing (IMS-GEM),
Tokyo, Nov. 1st, 2003, published in proceedings.
- “An Overview of Sustainability,” Proceedings, R3MEMCON, SME East
Coast Region 3 Annual Conference, Lehigh University, October 10-11,
- “An International Curriculum Development Project: Global Education
for Manufacturing,” Proceedings, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Section Spring
Conference, Global Impact of Internet on Education, Kean University,
NJ April 12, 2003 (CD).
- “Management Strategies for Sustainable Manufacturing,” published
in Proceedings of the Seventh International Pacific Conference on
Manufacturing, November 27-29, 2002, Bangkok, Thailand, Volume 1,
- “Production Paradigms & Paradoxes,” 2002 ASME International
Mechanical Engineering Conference, IMECE2002, New Orleans, LA, November
17-22, 2002, Paper #33269.
- “Education for Future Manufacturing,” Proceedings CIRP International
Manufacturing Education Conference; CIMEC-2002, University of Twente,
Enschede, The Netherlands, April 3-5, 2002 ISBN 90-365-17346 pp.
- “The Olympic Games: An Organizational Planning and Control Research
Project,” Proceedings of the 2002 American Society for Engineering
Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Multimedia Session
- “A Prognosis for Manufacturing with a Proposed Taxonomy,” International
Conference on Production Research, ICPR-16, Prague, Summer 2001,
paper #0303 pub. in proc. (CD).
- “Organizational Planning and Control as an Undergraduate Research
Experience,” ASEE MidAtlantic Section, Spring Conference, April
- A Redefinition for the 21st Century,” Proc. 2000 Pacific
Conf. on Manufacturing, Lawrence Tech. Univ., Sept. 2000, pp. 24-33.*
- “Implementation of Man-Machine Interface (MMI) for Job Shop Production
Environment,” CIRP-Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 29, No.
4, 1999, pp. 339-343.*
- “Competing in a Global Manufacturing Environment,” Preface to
Proceedings, CMSE, Lehigh University, 13th Conference with Industry,
Electronics Design & Manufacturing Infrastructure - Future Limits,”
Proc. 13th Conference with Industry, CMSE, Lehigh Univeristy, May
1999, pp. 67-78.*
- “Change: The Challenge for Education in Manufacturing,” Manufacturing
Education for the 21st Century, Vol. V, SME, 1998, pp. 15-22.
- “Globalization, Integration, Fractal Systems and Dichotomies –
A 2020 Vision,” Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing
1998, Proc. 8th Int. FAIM Conf., Begell House Inc., New York, 1998,
- “Manufacturing Processes for the 21st Century,” Preface to Proceedings,
CMSE, Lehigh University, 12th Conference with Industry, 1998.
- “Strategic Technologies for Global Manufacturing,” Preface to
Proceedings, CMSE, Lehigh University, 11th Conference with Industry,
- “Projection for a 300mm. Wafer Fab. in 2001,” Proc. 19th IEEE/CPMT
Int. Elec. Mfg. Tech. Symp., 1996, pp.141-151.*
- “Developing, Testing and Deployment of a Low Cost Via Drilling
Process for Printed Wire Board Manufacture,” Proceedings SME NAMRI
Conference, May, 1996.*
- “An Argument for Empowered Learning,” Proceedings, ASEE Mid-Atlantic
Section Regional Conference, 1996.
- “Education for the Future,” Proceedings Int. Conference on Education
in Manufacturing, Manufacturing Education for the 21st. Century,
SME, San Diego, March, 1996, pp.103-107.
- “An Integrated Design Strategy For Future Manufacturing Systems,”
J. Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 15, No. 1, Jan., 1996, pp. 52-61.
- “Some Factors Affecting Future Production Environments,” Flexible
Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM'95), Conference Proceedings,
Begell House, Inc., NY, 1995, pp.1146-1153.
- “Industry Lead Graduate Education - the Evolution of a Manufacturing
Systems Engineering Program,” Proceedings, Shaping our World - Century
II, Centennial Meeting, Gulf-Southwest Section ASEE, Southern University-Baton
Rouge, LA, 1994, Vol. 1, pp. 302-311. Re-published in “Manufacturing
Education for the 21st. Century,” Volume I, Curricula 2002 Report,
pp. N1-10, SME, 1995.
- “Globally Ideal Manufacturing Systems: Characteristics & Requirements”,
Flexible Automation and Integrated Manufacturing (FAIM'93), Conference
Proceedings, Part II, Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems,
MIA: CIM Strategy, pp. 67-77, CRC Press, 1993.
- “Management Structures for Realization of High Productivity”,
Proceedings, Int. Conf. on Productivity & Quality Research (ICPQR-93),
Vol. 1, Industrial Eng., & Management Press (IIE), 1993, pp. 237-246.
- “Global Logistics Support Planning for Manufacturing,” with M.U.
Thomas, G.R. Wilson, FAIM 92 Second International Conference on
Flexible Automation & Information Management, Virginia.
- “Design: Organization and Measurement.” Chapter in Handbook of
Design Management, Basil Blackwood, Oxford (1990).
- "Global Manufacturing for the Future," Sociedade Brasileira de Comando Numerico, 4a. Jornada Internacional de Automatizacao Industrial, 4th International Journey on Industrial Automatization, SOBRACON, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1988, Vol II of Proceedings, pp. 28.01-28.14.
- Systems and Technology for Advanced Manufacturing, editor, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Manufacturing Up-Date Series, 1983 (includes article).
- "Computer decides conditions for minimum cost machining," Metalworking Production, McGraw-Hill (UK), Dec. 8, Vol. 109, No. 49, 1965, pp. 61-64.
- "Predicting Cutting-Tool Performance," Production Technology, Iliffe Production Publications Ltd., re-print from magazine for Rolls-Royce Limited, Aero Engine Division, April 1963.
- "The Plastic Deformation of Alpha-Uranium," Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 2, No. 3 (1960), pp. 234-247, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.