Phone: (610) 758-4107
Fax: (610) 758-4041
Paul B. Reinhold Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
Appointed to Lehigh Faculty: 1970
Personal Laboratory Webpage: http://www.lehigh.edu/~influid
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1968
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1965
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Bucknell University, 1964
Group Research Leader, Diamond Laboratories, Washington, D.C., 1968-70
Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1970- 1987
Guest Professor, University of Karlsruhe, 1974-82
Paul B. Reinhold Professor, Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, Lehigh University, 1988-1996
Donald Rockwell is the Paul B. Reinhold Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. His major research interests are focused on: physics of vortex-dominated flows and their interaction with structures, using a range of experimental techniques; and development and implementation of new techniques of quantitative imaging of flow patterns, including image processing and evaluation. His research contributions have been in the areas of unsteady wakes, vortex interactions with bodies, laser illumination and image acquisition techniques, and methods for image evaluation.
Upon receiving his Ph.D. in 1968, Dr. Rockwell led a research group at Diamond Laboratories in Washington, D. C., where he also served as Program Manager for research grants at four universities. He returned to Lehigh University in 1970, and since then, has spent a total of four years abroad in Germany and England, engaged in research and lecturing at a number of universities. He was awarded an Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship at the University of Karlsruhe and elected an Overseas Fellow of Churchill College at Cambridge University. This international involvement led to establishment of an extensive collaboration between Lehigh University and the University of Karlsruhe, funded by the Volkswagen Foundation.
Editor-in-Chief of Experiments in Fluids (Jointly with Prof. C. Tropea, University of Darmstadt, Germany (until 2009); over 400 manuscripts per year processed); Associate Editor of Journal of Fluids and Structures; and member of Editorial Board of Progress in Aerospace Sciences
Total of 182 journal articles, including: Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics (2); Journal of Fluid Mechanics (37); Physics of Fluids (22); Journal of Fluids and Structures (30); Experiments in Fluids (15); ASME Transactions (19); AIAA Journal (31); Journal of Sound and Vibration (7); AIAA Journal of Aircraft (8).
Joint Director of Volkswagen Foundation Program on Flow-Induced Vibrations (1977-88). Principal Investigator for long-term, essentially continuous support in form of sequential core grants from: National Science Foundation; Office of Naval Research; and Air Force Office of Scientific Research. In addition, Principal Investigator for Accelerated Research Initiatives of Office of Naval Research (2), as well as Equipment Grants from National Science Foundation (2) and Defense University Research Instrumentation Program (3). Additional grants from NASA-Lewis and NASA-Langley Research Centers, Lockheed-Martin, Pratt and Whitney, Arrow International and Combustion Research and Flow Technologies.
Invited (Plenary) Lectures
Keynote Lecture at International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics (Lisbon, 2008); Invited (plenary) Lecture at Annual Meeting of American Physical Society (Tampa, 2006); Keynote Lecture at International Symposium on Shallow Flows (Delft, 2003); Invited (plenary) Lecture at International Union for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (Marseilles, 2000); Lead-off Invited (plenary) Lecture at International Workshop on Particle Image Velocimetry (Santa Barbara, 1999); Müller Prize Lecture (Karlsruhe, 1998); Invited Lecture at U. S. National Congress for Applied Mechanics (Gainesville, 1998); Keynote Address at Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (Melbourne, 1998). Previous (selected) Invited (plenary) Lectures at national/international meetings of International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (1992), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (1982, 1984, 1996), and American Physical Society (1994).
Scientific Committees (Selected, recent)
International Symposium on Shallow flows (Hong Kong, 2008); Eighth International Conference on Flow-Induced Vibrations (Paris, 2004); International Symposium on Shallow flows (Delft, 2003); Fifth International Conference on Hydrodynamics (Tainan, 2002); International Conference on Bluff Body Wakes and Vortex-Induced Vibrations (Port Douglas, Queensland, 2002); Fourth International Workshop on Particle Image Velocimetry (Goettingen, 2001); International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Congress (Marseilles, 2000).
Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (Germany, 1974-1976); Overseas Fellow of Churchill College, Cambridge University (elected 1981); Paul B. Reinhold Professor, Lehigh University (1988 to present); Eleanor and Joseph Libsch Research Award, Lehigh University (1989); Fellow of American Physical Society (1993); Fellowship Committee (1996-1997), Fluid Dynamics Prize Committee (1997-1998) of Division of Fluid Dynamics, American Physical Society; Lehigh University College of Engineering Ingenuity Award for a Distinguished Faculty Member (2005).
Interactions with Firms and Government Agencies
Selected, representative consulting in six countries includes the firms Eternit (Vienna, Austria), Sulzer (Winterthur, Switzerland), Bertin & Cie (Paris, France), Krupp (Karlsruhe, Germany), Ontario Hydro (Toronto, Canada), General Electric (Schenectady, NY). Pratt and Whitney (Hartford, CT), Arrow International (Reading, PA), Combustion Research and Flow Technology and Naval Sea Systems Command (Pipersville, PA and Washington , DC); Lockheed-Martin and Bechtel (Schenectady, NY and Pittsburg, PA)
Long-term interactions with, and advising at, government laboratories including the Naval Surface Warfare Center (Carderock, MD) and Air Force Research Laboratories (Dayton, OH).
Short courses on flow-induced oscillations in engineering systems held at Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA), IBM (Rochester, MN) and NASA (Huntsville, AL). Interactions with representatives from over seventy industrial and government organizations
Organization of international symposia and workshops at University of Karlsruhe (Germany) and Lehigh University under the auspices of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM), International Association of Hydraulic Research (IAHR), Office of Naval Research (ONR), and Air Force of Scientific Research (AFOSR). Most recently, organized (jointly with E. Dowell) Workshop on Unsteady Flow, Fluid-Structure Interaction, and Aeroelasticity for Air Force Office of Scientific Research (February, 2008)
Publications (Selected and Recent)
- 2009 “Flow Past a Delta Wing with a Sinusoidal Leading-Edge: Near-Surface Topology and Flow Structure” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 321-331
- T. Goruney and D. Rockwell 2009 “Flow Structure on a Three-Dimensional Wing Subjected to Small Amplitude Perturbations” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 47, No. 4-5, pp. 579-597
- T. O. Yilmaz and D. Rockwell 2008 “Vortex Formation in Shallow Flows” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 20, pp. 031303-1 - 031303-8.
- D. Rockwell 2007 “Oscillation of Shallow Flow Past a Cavity: Resonant Coupling with a Gravity Wave” Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 23, No. 6, August, pp. 809-838.
- A. Ekmekci and D. Rockwell 2007 “Interaction of a Deep Water Wave with a VerticalCylinder: Effect of Self-Excited Vibrations on Quantitative Flow Patterns” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 572, February, pp. 189-217
- M. Ozgoren and D. Rockwell 2007 “Oscillations of Flow Past Perforated and Slotted Plates: Attenuation via a Leading-Edge Ramp” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 639-651
- E. Celik, A. C. Sever, T. Kiwata and D. Rockwell 2007 “Flow Structure Associated with Multiple Jets from a Generic Catheter Tip” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 513-530
- J. Foust and D. Rockwell 2007 “Pressure Drop through Generic Lumens of Hemodialysis Catheters” ASAIO Journal, Vol. 53, No. 4, July/August, pp. 428-433
- Z. Fricker and D. Rockwell 2006 “Structure of the Jet from a Generic Catheter Tip” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 42, No.4, pp. 513-530, 2007.
- J. Foust and D. Rockwell 2006 “Control of Flow Structure on Delta Wing with Steady Trailing Edge Blowing” AIAA Journal, Vol. 44, No.3, March, pp. 493-501
- M. M. Yavuz and D. Rockwell 2006 “A Combined DNS-PIV Study of the Turbulent Near Wake” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 569, December, pp. 185-207
- S. Dong, G. E. Karniadakis, A. Ekmekci, and D. Rockwell 2006 “Identification and Control of Three-Dimensional Separation on Low Swept Delta Wing Angle” AIAA Journal, Vol. 44, No. 11, November, pp. 2805-2811
- M. Yavuz and D. Rockwell 2005 “Shallow Flow Past a Cylinder: Transition Phenomena at Low Reynolds Number” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 540, No. 1, pp. 75-97
- H. Fu and D. Rockwell 2005 “Shallow Cavity Flow Tones: Transformation from Large- to Small-Scale Modes” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 280, No. 3-5, February, pp. 777-813
- P. Oshkai, D. Rockwell and M. Pollack 2005 “Imaging of Acoustically Coupled Oscillations Due to Flow Past a Shallow Cavity: Effect of Cavity Length Scale” Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 20, No. 2, February, pp. 277-308
- P. Oshkai, M. Geveci, D. Rockwell, and M. Pollack 2005 “Vortex Buffeting of Aircraft Tail: Interpretation via Proper Orthogonal Decomposition” AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 3 March, pp. 550-559
- Y. Kim, D. Rockwell, and A. Liakapoulos 2005 “Shallow Flow Past a Cylinder: Control of Near-Wake” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 539, No. 1, pp. 1-24
- H. Fu and D. Rockwell 2005 “Self-Sustained Oscillations Past Perforated and Slotted Plates: Effect of Plate Thickness” AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 8, pp. 1850-1854
- E. Celik, A. C. Sever, and D. Rockwell 2005 “Controlled Oscillations of a Cylinder: Forces and Wake Modes” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 538, Sept., pp. 31-69
- J. Carberry, J. Sheridan, and D. Rockwell 2005 “Flow Structure on Diamond and Lambda Planforms: Trailing-Edge Region” AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 7, pp. 1490-1500
- B. Yaniktepe and D. Rockwell 2005 “Oscillations of Shear Flow along a Slotted Plate: Small- and Large-Scale Structures” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 530, pp. 213-222
- A. C. Sever and D. Rockwell 2005 “Near-Surface Topology of an Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle Planform: Reynolds Number Dependence” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 42, No. 5, Sept/Oct, pp. 1318-1330
- M. Elkhoury, M. M. Yavuz, and D. Rockwell 2005 “Self-Excited Oscillations of Flow Past a Perforated Plate: Attenuation via Three-Dimensional Surface Elements” Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 127, No. 1, pp. 151-164