John B. Ochs
Phone: (610) 758-4593
Fax: (610) 758-6131
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
Director Integrated Product Development (IPD) Program
Associate of Lehigh University’s Baker Institute for Entrepreneurship, Creativity and Innovation
Appointed to Lehigh Faculty: 1979
Ph.D. Acoustics, Pennsylvania State Univ., 1980
M.S. Engineering Acoustics, Penn. State Univ., 1976
B.S. Mathematics, Villanova University, 1971
Related experience - teaching, industrial, etc.:
Director and Founder, Computer-Aided Design Labs in MEM Department, 1980-2000
Expert witness on noise and vibration, on CAD/CAM and patent infringements, 1985-present
Editorial Advisory board of the Journal of Robotics and Computer- Integrated Manufacturing, 1995-1999
Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Unigraphics Users Group, 1995-1997
Board of Directors and founder LVCS, Inc., 1985-1992
Chairman of the Entrepreneurship Division of the American Society For Engineering Education, 2003, Board member 2002 to present.
Research activities, consulting, patents, etc.:
New product development processes
Geometric dimensions and tolerances,
Acoustics and noise control
CAD/CAM and new product development consultant to over 300 companies
NSF grant for assessing teamwork and ethical awareness in cross disciplinary capstone teams (2009-2011)
Scientific and professional societies of which a member:
ASEE Entrepreneurship Division
Honors and awards:
DuPont Young Faculty Award (1979-1983)
Lehigh University’s Outstanding Young Faculty Award (1983)
Curriculum Innovation Award – ASME 1996
Newcomen Society of America keynote speaker for Support of America’s Free Enterprise System. Awarded to Lehigh University - 1997
2006 Winner of the Olympus Prize for Innovation in Teaching
- Ochs, John B., Watkins, Todd A., and Boothe, Berrisford W., “Creating a Truly multidisciplinary Entrepreneurial Educational Environment,” Journal of Engineering Education, October 2001, pp 577 to 583.
- Kloss, Bryan, Christman, Leah and Ochs, John, B., “Implementing Technical Entrepreneurship as a Required Junior Course for all Students at Northwestern Lehigh High School,” Proceedings of the 2005 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, June 2005.
- Ochs, John B., Watkins, Todd A., Lennon, Gerard P., Mitchell, Graham. “A Comprehensive Model for Integrating Entrepreneurship Education and Capstone Projects while Meeting ABET Requirements.” Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Educators, Chicago, Ill June 2006.
- Marchese, Anthony, Abraham, John; Greene, Christoper; Kizenwether, Elizabeth; Ochs, John B. “Toward a Common Standard Rubric for Capstone Projects,” Proceedings from the National Capstone Design Course Conference, University of Colorado, Boulder, June 13-15, 2007
- Todd A. Watkins, M. Jean Russo and John B. Ochs. “Can Students in Technology Entrepreneurship Courses Help Foster Start-ups by the Unemployed?” Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 15(2), 2008.
- Collins, Michael; Lennon, Gerard; Ochs, John B.; Weisman, Richard; Munley, Vincent; Sterrett, Joseph; “A Decade of University Sports Facility Design Courses,” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education, Pittsburgh, PA, June 2008.
- Ochs, John B.; Getzler-Linn, Lisa; Huyck, Margaret; Schaffer, Scott; Raber, Mary, “Assessing Team work and Ethical Awareness in Interprofessional Undergraduate Teams and Entrepreneurial Start-ups: Report #1,” Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education, Austin, Texas, June 14-17, 2009.
- Herz, Lori, et al. "Development of an Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Bioengineering Program at Lehigh University, " to be published in Advances in Engineering Education, ASEE, 2010