Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in Mechanical Engineering at Lehigh University. Students interested in applying to our program are asked to complete our Preliminary Application Form. This form has been designed to help us evaluate your chances of being admitted to our highly competitive program before completing the comprehensive application and paying the application fee. Please complete and submit the form as soon as possible.
Please note the following minimum admission requirements set by the university:
- Either the Internet-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Test System) is required for all graduate students whose FIRST language is not English. All international students must show proof of English proficiency to be admitted to Lehigh. The English proficiency requirement may be waived if a student has completed a degree program at a U.S. university within the past two years; such a waiver may be granted after review of online application materials submitted by the applicant. Applicants should check with the appropriate admission office to verify if they are eligible for a waiver. Information regarding score requirements are posted on the College website.
- An official transcript from each university attended is required. All transcripts should be converted to the American 4.0 grading scale, if possible, and sent in a sealed envelope to:
Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
356 Packard Laboratory
19 Memorial Drive West
Bethlehem, PA 18015
- Two (2) letters of recommendation are required from qualified individuals to evaluate the applicant's academic achievement and potential for graduate studies.
- A $75 non-refundable application fee is required; this fee cannot be waived.
- The deadline for fall semester applications is July 15. The spring semester deadline is December 1. The deadline to be considered for financial support for the following academic year is January 15 (students must have a minimum gpa of 3.35 to be considered for financial support.)
- Financial support documents must add up to a minimum of the total estimated 2016-2017 yearly cost of $41,957 for: tuition ($25,560), minimum 12 month living expenses ($14,400), health insurance ($1,997), in the form of either family funds (original bank letter), government funds (original documents),or scholarships.
- Admission to the MEM program is NOT awarding of financial support. The granting of research, teaching, or fellowship awards is by competition. The availability of funds is always limited.
- Visa papers are issued only to students admitted as regular, full-time students, who show proof of financial support by submitting the appropriate documents.
Please note that if the Preliminary Application Form is not completed, it cannot be considered.
For more information, please contact:
MEM Graduate Coordinator