Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in Mechanical Engineering at Lehigh University. Students interested in applying to our program are asked to complete our Preliminary Application Form. This form has been designed to help us evaluate your chances of being admitted to our highly competitive program before completing the comprehensive application and paying the application fee. Please complete and submit the form as soon as possible.
Please note the following minimum admission requirements set by the university:
- International students are required to take the IBT-TOEFL test (Test of English as a Foreign Language). If a student scores below 79, the student is required to take at least one semester of a Step-Up Intensive English Program. For further information, consult the ESL Department. Scores below the following individual scores require ESL coursework to be taken during the initial academic year concurrent with regular Department coursework: Reading (20); Listening (15); Speaking (20); Writing (20).
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Aptitude Test is highly recommended, especially for international students.
- An official transcript from each university attended is required. All transcripts should be converted to the American 4.0 grading scale, if possible, and sent in a sealed envelope to: Graduate Coordinator, Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, 356 Packard Laboratory, 19 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA 18015.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation are required from qualified individuals to evaluate the applicant's academic achievement and potential for graduate studies.
- A $75 non-refundable application fee is required; this fee cannot be waived.
- The deadline for fall semester applications is July 15. The spring semester deadline is December 1. The deadline to be considered for financial support for the following academic year is January 15 (students must have a minimum gpa of 3.35 to be considered for financial support.)
- Financial support documents must add up to a minimum of the total estimated 2015-2016 yearly cost of $41,237 for: tuition ($24,840), minimum 12 month living expenses ($14,400), health insurance ($1,997), in the form of either family funds (original bank letter), government funds (original documents),or scholarships.
- Admission to the MEM program is NOT awarding of financial support. The granting of research, teaching, or fellowship awards is by competition. The availability of funds is always limited.
- Visa papers are issued only to students admitted as regular, full-time students, who show proof of financial support by submitting the appropriate documents.
Please note that if the Preliminary Application Form is not completed, it cannot be considered.
For more information, please contact:
MEM Graduate Coordinator