Since its inception in 2003, a representative committee of staff members and Human Resources administer a staff recognition program that is a special “thank you and handshake” with public recognition for significant contributions.
To qualify, an individual or team should demonstrate outstanding behaviors or produce exceptional results, either within a single department or across the University, in any of the following categories.
- Create a positive, supportive, and inclusive place for employees and students to work and learn.
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership and role modeling by providing a sense of purpose, vision, and mission to achieve goals.
- Invest time and interest in coaching and mentoring to influence others positively and build consensus around organizational values and objectives.
- Actively participate in Lehigh community service.
- Provide quality customer service, both in front and behind the scenes. “Go the extra mile” to provide service to internal and external customers with timely and appropriate follow-up and responsiveness and demonstrated improvement of customer service and satisfaction.
- Get results by identifying, creating, and implementing innovative solutions to improve the way work is done, making it easier, more efficient, and/or less costly.
- Contribute to the success of others by sharing expertise and knowledge.
Team Focused Contribution:
- Serve on a department or University team or committee and contribute to its success.
- Work on a special project with successful outcomes.
- Participate in broad efforts outside the realm of assigned job duties to improve the University community.
All full or part-time Lehigh University staff -- nonexempt, exempt, and research staff members (excluding student and wage employees, leased employees, and affiliated organizations) may be nominated for individual or team awards.
Anyone may nominate an individual or team. This includes staff, faculty, students, alumni, visitors, and vendors. All nominators must identify themselves. Anonymous nominations will not be considered. A nomination form will be distributed and available on the Human Resources Web site. Nominations may be made on a rolling basis and awards will be announced in April and December.
- Lehigh Tradition of Excellence Nomination Form (pdf on-line format)
The committee is comprised of representative staff from across the University. They are:
- MaryAnn Haller (College of Arts and Sciences)
- Gene Lucadamo (Center for Advanced Materials & Nanotechnology)
- Pat Mann (Provost's Office)
- Mary Jo McNulty (Human Resources)
- Bonnie Mesler (Advancement)
- David Ramsey (Library & Technology Services)
- Janice Stoudt (Finance & Administration)
- Tim Wilkinson (Fraternity & Sorority Affairs)
The committee is chaired by MaryAnn Haller (College of Arts and Sciences). The committee will administer the program and determine the award recipients.
Recipients will receive the following:
- A congratulatory letter from the VP or Dean of their stem.
- A check in the amount of $150 net
- A certificate
- A medallion inscribed with the Lehigh Tradition of Excellence graphic.
Colleges and stems may decide to have a plaque with the names of award recipients from their area. Information on how to order and maintain such a plaque will be available through Human Resources.
Return to the Staff Recognition Pyramid page.