Dr. Susan Christy, a recognized authority on faculty staff relations in higher education, will be conducting research to to uncover success stories of staff-faculty partnerships at Lehigh. Dr. Christy last visited Lehigh in 2011, when she presented workshops for staff members on working effectively with faculty.
Dr. Christy, in coordination with the Faculty Staff Relations Committee, is now looking for 20 staff-faculty partnerships to volunteer for the research. These partnerships exist all across campus and are found within academic departments, research centers/institutes, college deans’ offices and where staff collaborate and support faculty in a broad range of activities such as administration, student affairs, advancement, information technology, research administration, athletics, admissions, and financial aid, to name a few.
Dr. Susan Christy wants to interview faculty and staff members who work well together to discover characteristics and best practices that contribute to their successful collaboration. She will discuss her findings and possible applications so higher education leaders, faculty and staff can maximize their effectiveness in working together.
Purpose of the research
The purpose is to identify the elements of successful faculty-staff partnerships so that staff and faculty can learn to amplify what works well.
- To elicit success stories and information from faculty and staff members who work well together
- To identify characteristics and practices of these faculty and staff members that contribute to successful, collaborative, productive staff-faculty partnerships
- To discern possible applications of the findings for academic leaders, faculty and staff who work together
- To clarify the important role that successful faculty-staff partnerships play in education, research and organizational effectiveness
- To disseminate this information in ways that inspire and inform others to improve faculty-staff partnerships
- To provide the findings and possible applications to The Faculty-Staff Relations Committee and The Provost’s Council at Lehigh University and to make this information available to leaders, faculty and staff at Lehigh and others in higher education.
About Dr. Susan Christy
Susan Christy is the author of Working Effectively with Faculty: A Guidebook for Higher Education Staff and Managers and is currently consulting and speaking for universities across the country. She holds a Ph.D. in Psychology from The California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco and was as tenured Associate Professor of Psychology at Asnuntuck College in Enfield, CT. Before starting her own consulting business, she was Vice President of HighGain, Inc., a San Francisco training firm. Susan holds a California College Teaching Credential in Business and Psychology.
Lehigh Faculty Staff Relations Committee
Robin Armbruster, College of Engineering and Applied Science
Catherine Headman, Baker Institute
Jackie Matthews, Human Resources
Mary Jo McNulty, Human Resources
Vince Munley, Provost’s Office
Vivien Steele, English Department
If you believe you are part of a staff/faculty partnership that could help this research, please contact Mary Jo McNulty in Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 610-758-3894.
For More Information
- Read about Dr. Christy's workshops
- Read about what has happened since Dr. Christy's 2011 visit
- Read the report on faculty-staff relations
- Read the research proposal
- See how staff and faculty have two views of the organization
- View some of the differences between faculty and staff.