The University's Debit Card Program, called GoldPLUS, program went off campus in 2002, and currently has over 80 area businesses participating. During the academic year of 2011-2012, approximately 2 million dollars was deposited into over 5,000 accounts.
The following are the basic requirements for a merchant to participate in the University's GoldPLUS program. More complete details will be specified in a contractual agreement between you and Lehigh University after you complete and submit the GoldPLUS Merchant Application Form, but this general information should help you in your preparation to become a participating merchant.
- Hardware/Software: The equipment needed to communicate with our system must be either a Verifone Tranz 330, 380, or 380X2 terminal, along with a Verifone 250 printer. The merchant is responsible for purchasing this equipment (we can refer you to dealers). The terminal needs to be programmed by the University, at no additional cost to the merchant. The equipment is the property of the merchant.
- Wiring/Electrical: One phone line and two electrical outlets per terminal/printer set. (A single phone line has the ability to process both Lehigh Debit Card transactions and Credit/Debit Card transactions.)
- Customization: Any cost associated with customizing the "set-up" on the merchant's end of the transaction is the responsibility of the merchant.
- Cost to Participate: The University will retain 3.5% to 5.0% of the merchant's net University Debit Card transactions, dependent upon payment schedule chosen by merchant (monthly, two week, or weekly), in addition to a one-time Start-Up Fee of $250.00.
- Telephone Line Expenses: The merchant is responsible for any on-going telephone line expenses. The call to the University Debit Card's computer is a local call.
- Service: The GoldPLUS Office and the University are always willing to help with any concerns or problems. However, because our office hours do not coincide with most merchant business hours, we want to state that we currently do not provide 24-hour/7-day a week service.
- NOTE: The Card cannot be accepted for sales of Alcohol, Tobacco products, and certain other restrictions (ex., no delivery), as stated in our contract.
We are very excited at the prospect of your business joining our program. Please complete the GoldPLUS Merchant Application Form (PDF). You may either mail in the form, drop off the form at the GoldPLUS Office located in Christmas-Saucon Annex, or fax the form to 610-758-6188. Please contact Will Hlay at 610-758-6169, or email email@example.com, for answers to any questions you may have.