- Financial Aid Awards: Be sure to review your Financial Aid Awards on the campus portal. You should review the award messages, accept the terms and conditions (if you have not already done so) and accept or decline any awards as needed. Follow the instructions on how to accept your financial aid awards online to complete this step.
- Additional Requests for Paperwork: In order to finalize your financial aid package, you must comply with any requests for additional paperwork which you may view online at Lehigh’s Campus Portal. This may include, but is not limited to, the 2013-2014 Application for Financial Aid, and complete copies of both parents' and student’s 2012 Federal Tax Returns, W-2s, and all accompanying pages and tax schedules.
- Scholarship Survey: The Scholarship Survey is conducted by the Financial Aid Office to assist in finding potential candidates for scholarships funded by loyal alumni and friends of Lehigh University. The Lehigh Grant is originally awarded to act as a “placeholder” until we are notified of the amount we are able to award for each of the named scholarship funds. The Lehigh Grant may be swapped with a scholarship established by a donor.
Follow the instructions to complete the scholarship survey on the student portal.
- Loan Applications and Forms:
Federal Work Study or Work Opportunity Award: If you are a recipient of Federal Work Study or a Work Opportunity Award it is highly recommended that you attend the annual Student Job Information Session and Job Fair during Freshmen orientation. For more information view the Student Employment Brochure and view the Listing of Jobs available.
Additional Supplemental Loan Forms and Applications: If you choose to borrow
additional loans to finance your expected family contribution or any unmet need, you may be required to complete additional forms and applications.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan: If you are a recipient of a Federal Direct Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized as noted in your FAN), first time borrowers must participate in Entrance Counseling and complete a Master Promissory Note prior to disbursement. To complete these steps, read below on MPN and Entrance Counseling.
- Federal Perkins Loan: If you are a recipient of a Perkins Loan you may be required to complete an MPN and Disclosure form, as well as a Personal and Confidential form. You will receive more information about completing these forms in the mail. If you do not receive this information by the first week in July, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
- Lehigh Institutional Loan: If you are a recipient of a Lehigh Institutional Loan, you will need to complete a Promissory Note and a Personal and Confidential form. You will receive more information about completing these forms in the mail. If you do not receive this information by the first week of July, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
- The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS): The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students offers parents an alternative means of financing the student's education. This program may be used to bridge the gap between cost of attendance and traditional need-based and/or merit-based assistance. Please view the "Types of Aid" section of our website for additional information on this type of loan.
- Private/Alternative Loans: A Private/Alternative Loan is a loan that a student can borrow to help finance the family’s expected contribution. These loans are based on the student’s credit history with the best interest rates given to students who have credit-worthy co-borrowers. Please view the "Types of Aid" section of our website for additional information on this type of loan.
We’re here to help! Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
*Completing Direct Loan Entrance Counseling: Students who borrow under the Federal Direct Stafford Loan program for the first time are required to complete an Direct Loan Entrance Counseling Session. Whether the student is receiving subsidized and/or unsubsidized loan funds this counseling session needs to be completed only once. This session ensures that you fully understand your rights and obligations as a student loan borrower. Whether you are receiving a subsidized and/or unsubsidized loan it cannot be disbursed to a student's account until this requirement has been completed.
Completing a Direct Loan Entrance Counseling session prior to obtaining a Federal Direct Stafford student loan for the first time is mandated by the federal government. Please complete the session online here: Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
Once you have successfully completed the entrance counseling session an acknowledgement will be sent to the Financial Aid Office. Then the University's Campus Portal Banner Financial Aid Requirement status will be updated.
**Master Promissory Note (MPN): First time borrowers of a Federal Direct Stafford Loan must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) prior to disbursement. The MPN acts as the loan application and is valid for 10 years from the date of completion. You only need to complete one Direct Stafford Loan MPN whether is is subsidized or unsubsidized.
Your loan will be disbursed directly to your account no earlier than 10 days prior to the start of the semester or within 10 days of processing if your file is complete. Funds will be disbursed via electronic fund transfer. The amount disbursed may be reduced by origination fees by up to 3%.