The Lehigh University Center for Community Engagement (CCE) assists Lehigh’s faculty develop capacity, skills, and resources for community-engaged research. We are a connector, a partner, and support for work, as well as a tool for assessment and evaluation of such work's success for the larger common good and for our ability to advance a community-engaged research footprint for the university.
What is Community-Engaged Research/Learning?
Community engaged research (CEnR) is a process that is collaborative that teams researchers and community partners in a way that generates and disseminates new knowledge to strengthen the community and enhance the wellbeing of community members. CEnR identifies the assets of all stakeholders and incorporates them in the design and conduct of the different phases of the research process.
The CCE is a central hub to which all faculty, staff, students, and community partners should feel engaged with and supported by in order to conduct community-engaged learning, projects, and research.
What does the CCE do to Support Students in this work?
- Prepare students for involvement in community through training and skills development.
- Evaluate and assess community engagement projects.
- Maintain database of university-based community projects.
- Be a sounding board and strategic planning partners for community-engaged initiatives in their early stages.
- Provide/facilitate community partner connections.
- Brainstorm/strategic planning assistance for service as a central curricular component for majors/minors.
What about Service?
There are many way to work in service with or of a community, and the CCE can provide connections or support for service opportunities. A great first step for you if you wish to volunteer and/or participate in co-curricular service is to connect with the Community Service Office, who we work in conjunction with to ensure ethical service opportunities.
Sarah Stanlick, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Community Engagement
Professor of Practice, Sociology and Anthropology
Williams Hall 020
Bethlehem, PA 18015-3181