Training and Orientation
Right to Know
Personal Protective Equipment PolicyIntroduction
To protect employees from the hazards of processes or environment, chemical hazards, radiological hazards, or mechanical irritants by providing personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head, and extremities and to ensure protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields, and barriers are used and maintained in a sanitary and reliable condition.Policy
- Program development, policy review, and audit functions shall be provided by Environmental Health and Safety.
- Deans, Directors, Department Heads, Center/Institute Directors are responsible for developing departmental procedures and implementing practices to ensure effective compliance with Lehigh University's Protective Equipment Protection Program.
- Deans, Directors, Department Chairs, Center/Institute Directors shall ensure that hazard assessments are conducted for each affected job category and that personal protective equipment is provided and maintained for employee use.
- Hazard Assessment
- Each Department, Center/Institute shall assess their work areas to determine if hazards are present or likely to be present which necessitate the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- If changes occur in the work area (new machinery, new processes, etc.) a new hazard assessment must be completed by the department for the work area.
- The form, Certification of Hazard Assessment and Personal Protective Equipment Evaluation, shall be signed by the Department Chair or Center/Institute Director for each affected job classification within their department.
- Equipment Selection and Availability
- Equipment must adhere to standards and guidelines set forth by Lehigh University's PPE Program.
- Deans, Directors, Department Chairs, Center/Institute Directors shall ensure that when PPE is required, it is available to all affected employees.
- Defective or damaged PPE shall not be used.
- Deans, Directors, Department Chairs, Center/Institute Directors shall ensure that employees, who are required to wear PPE are trained on its use, care, maintenance, and limitations.
- Deans, Directors, Department Chairs, Center/Institute Directors shall ensure that employees are retrained when necessary according to Lehigh University's PPE Program.