Training and Orientation
Right to Know
DOT Shipping PolicyIntroduction
To ensure the shipment of all hazardous materials is conducted in compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations governing the classification, marking, description, labeling, and packaging of hazardous materials in commerce.Policy
- No person shall ship a hazardous material except in accordance with established University hazardous material shipping procedures.
- No person shall certify a hazardous material package for shipment unless they are trained according to DOT regulation 49 CFR 172, Subpart H.
- Hazardous materials shall be labeled, marked, and classified according to University procedures and DOT regulations.
- Departments shall make arrangements with the common carrier for the shipment of hazardous materials. Carriers will supply shipping papers and advise as to what labels and packaging materials to use and purchase.
- Departments shall purchase packaging and labeling materials. Packaging and labeling materials must comply with DOT regulations for the type of material shipped.
- All Departments, Institutes/Centers shall ensure that Lehigh University's Hazardous Material Shipping procedures are enforced.