Advocacy & Equity
The Dean of Students Office is intentional about actively engaging students in educational, experiential, and interpersonal opportunities that demonstrate the importance of diversity in its broadest definition. The Women's Center, Office of Multicultural Affairs and LGBTQA Services (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, and Ally) departments all work collaboratively with students, faculty, administrators and the community to create a welcoming, accepting campus environment that more closely resembles the global world we live in.
To underscore the deep commitment to this goal, the Student Affairs division created a Diversity Pledge that accepts and embraces our roles as ambassadors for diversity on and off campus, and pledges to:
- Affirm the value and importance of diversity in the core mission, vision, structure and operations of the University and the Student Affairs division.
- Cultivate a climate of respect, civility, and inclusivity that affirms and advances the dignity of all.
- Encourage an appreciation for the contributions of all people.
- Promote an interdependant and supportive campus environment.
- Confront, challenge and reject all forms of prejudice, intolerance, and oppression.
- Examine our own policies, practices and actions to foster the success of everyone in our campus community.
- Increase our own understanding and knowledge to effectively advocate for, and support, others.
- Create opportunities for students and colleagues to learn about and broaden their understanding of others.