Lehigh Students & Parties Off-Campus
If you are a Lehigh student and living in or visiting a neighborhood surrounding the campus, you should understand that, as a Lehigh student, you are considered a citizen of the campus and a member of the community. As such, you are expected to uphold a “good neighbor” policy, which means abiding by local laws and respecting our South Side neighborhood.
Below are tips for hosting a safe and responsible party:
When you live off campus, it is important to remember that you are a Bethlehem resident and you must treat your neighbors with consideration. Giving occasional parties can sometimes cause problems with otherwise friendly neighbors. To avoid being a bad neighbor and host, here are a few tips to a successful and safe party:Before the party:
- Invite a manageable number of guests and know who you are inviting. Do not publicize the event.
- Talk to your neighbors before the party and encourage them to call if there is a problem. The most common reason police come to a party is complaints from neighbors. Keep the party indoors and the windows closed, if possible.
- Let your neighbors know when the party will end and that you will be cleaning up the un¬wanted trash the following day.
- Know your guests, feel free to turn people away that you don’t know or are intoxicated. Do not collect money.
- Provide non-alcoholic beverages, as well as food, for your guests.
- Do not serve minors alcohol. You will be held responsible for any underage drinking that goes on in your house or apartment.
- No one should leave your house with a cup, empty or full.
- Be sure designated individuals stays sober the entire party to monitor for noise or other problems.
- Keep windows closed; periodically walk around the outside of your house/apartment to check the noise level.
- Don’t let anyone drive home intoxicated.
- Don’t have a lot of guests leave at the same time – this creates noise and draws attention to your party.
- If the police are called and should appear at your door, remember to be polite and cooperative.
- Contact your neighbors and thank them for their cooperation.
- Clean up any trash associated with your party the next day.