How do I apply to the M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program?

The application is available online on the Graduate Admissions page of the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science.

Lehigh’s department of civil and environmental engineering offers a number of graduate programs in structural engineering, civil engineering, and environmental engineering. If you are interested in the10-month, project-based, M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program, be sure to select “Structural Engineering – Meng” as your first choice of study from the drop-down box on the right of the online application form. Note that we also offer a Civil Engineering – MEng, which is a 30-credit, courses-only program that has no thesis or project requirement. To avoid confusion, be sure to scroll down to choose the program you want on your application.

When is the application deadline?

If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, we must receive the following by January 15:

All other applicants seeking admission to the M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program must submit the documents and fee outlined above by April 15. Applications received after January 15 are reviewed on a rolling basis (see discussion below).

What are the admission standards?

  • Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75/4.0
  • Preferred GPA of 3.3/4.0 in major
  • Preferred GRE general test combined score totaling 1200 Quantitative and Verbal; 3.5/6.0 in Analytical Writing
  • International students: Please refer to the Graduate Admissions page of the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering Web site for information on minimum standards for Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores.

When can I expect an admission decision?

Admission decisions on applications received by January 15 are typically made by the end of February. Applications received after January 15 will be reviewed for admission on a rolling basis, pending room in the program for additional students.

What is the cost of tuition?

For the 2010-2011 academic year, graduate tuition for the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science is $1185 per credit. Tuition for 2011-2012 will be determined in the spring of 2011. The M.Eng. program requires 30 credits to complete. Students who have taken graduate-level courses that do not count toward their undergraduate degree requirements are eligible to petition to transfer up to six (6) credits toward their M.Eng. degree.

Are scholarships available?

Funding for graduate-level study in engineering traditionally takes the form of research assistantships, teaching assistantships, or fellowships. Since the M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program is not research-based, and the course load required to complete the program in 10 months is heavy, we are not able to offer research assistantships or teaching assistantships to our students. Instead, Lehigh’s M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program is uniquely structured to provide partial-tuition scholarships, ranging from $5,000 to $15,000, to deserving students.

Our board of industry partners contributes money to the M.Eng. program to fund student scholarships. Every dollar received from our sponsors goes directly to our students. Your application for admission automatically places you in consideration for these partial-tuition scholarships. Please note that in order to be considered for a scholarship, you must submit your completed application by January 15.

We also encourage our students to explore funding from industry organizations that offer scholarships for graduate study, such as the American Concrete Institute (ACI), the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), and the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) .

Many of our students finance part or all of their education with low-interest student loans. Student loans for graduate study have different limits and requirements than undergraduate student loans. We encourage anyone interested in graduate student loans to speak to Terri Jones in Lehigh’s Office of Financial Aid. Be sure to mention that you are applying to the 10-month M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program.

Can I apply to the program if my undergraduate degree is not in civil engineering?

Yes. We do accept students with undergraduate degrees from other areas of study. If accepted into the program, we will send you a letter indicating the undergraduate-level courses you need to take before beginning the M.Eng. in Structural Engineering program. You can take these courses at Lehigh or take equivalent courses at another university. If you choose to take the courses at Lehigh, you will be enrolled as a graduate student taking undergraduate-level courses and will pay the graduate student per-credit tuition. We have had students enrolled in our program with undergraduate degrees in fields such as physics, architecture, and architectural engineering.

Can I begin the program in the spring semester?

It is possible to begin the program in the spring semester. However, since the design project courses must be taken in sequence, students who start in the spring will not graduate until the end of the following spring (15-month-program duration). If you wish to begin the program in the spring, you can take two classes that semester, which will lighten your course load for future semesters.

Can I enroll in the program as a part-time student?

Yes, you can enroll in the program as a part-time student, if you take the design project courses in sequence during the same academic year. Part-time students typically take one to two courses per semester and complete the program in two to three years.