B.A. Tsinghua University
M.A. Princeton University, 1983
Ph.D. Princeton University, 1986
August 2003 - Present
A. Everett Pitcher Professor, Lehigh University
January 2002 - June 2003
Associate Director, Institute for Pure and Applied
Mathematics (IPAM) at UCLA
September 1999 - August 2004
September 1993 - August 1999
Associate Professor, Texas A&M University
September 1992 - August 1993
for Advanced Studies,
September 1987 - August 1992
Ritt Assistant Professor, Columbia University
September 1986 - August 1987
Institute (MSRI), Berkeley
Editorial Board and Selected Other
Managing Editor, Journal of Differential
Geometry, 2003 - Present
Member, Scientific Advisory Board of the Max Planck
Institute for Mathematics in the
Sciences in Leipzig, Germany, 2011-2016.
Member, International Advisory Committee of
Mathematical Sciences Center,
Tsinghua University (Beijing), China, 2009-present.
S.-T. Yau College Student Mathematics Contest:
Member of Geometry and Topology Subcommittee, 2010-present.
S.-T. Yau High School Mathematics Award:
Adjudication Panel Member (2011)
Board of Trustees of IPAM (ex-officio), 2002-03
Member, Scientific Advisory Board
of IPAM (ex-offcio), 2002-03
Visiting Professor, Center for Advanced Study,
Tsinghua University (Beijing), China
September 1999 - December 1999
Visiting Professor, MIT
January 2000 - May 2000
Visiting Scholar, Harvard Unviersity
February 2001 - June 2001
Visiting Member, Isaac
Newton Institute, University of Cambridge,
Visiting Member, Max-Planck
Visiting Member, IHES,
June 2003 - July 2003
Visiting Professor, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
May 2005 - June 2005
Visiting Professor, University of Pisa, Italy
Visiting Chair Professor, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Visiting Professor, University of Provence, Marseille, France
Visiting Professor, Mathematical Sciences Center,
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Awards and Fellowships
- NSF Research Grant DMS-0909581 (PI), 2009-2013.
- NSF Conference Grant \International Symposium on Geometry and
Topolgy", PI, 2010-2013.
- NSF Research Grant DMS-0506084 (PI), 2005-2010
- NSF Cnoference Grant: " Lehigh/Harvard Geometry and Topology
Conference", DMS-0511215 (Co-PI), 2005-2008
- NSF Focused
Research Group (FRG)
Grant DMS-0354621 (PI), 2004-2007.
- NSF Research Grant DMS-0206847
- NSF Conference Grant: "Texas Geometry and Topology Conference"
(PI, with J. Pitts), 2003-2006
- NSF Conference Grant: "Texas Geometry and Topology Conference",
DMS-0072372 (Co-PI with J. Pitts), 2000-2003.
- NSF Research Grant DMS-9803549 (PI), 1998-2001.
- NSF Group Infrastructure Grant (GIG) DMS-9600483 (Co-PI),
- IMA Grant for "Workshop in Geometric Analysis" (Co-PI with Jon
- NSF Research Grant DMS-9504925 (PI), 1995-1997.
- NSF Research Grant DMS-9307297 (PI), 1993-1996.
- NSF Research Grant DMS-9004062 (Research Associate), 1990-1992.
- NSF Research Grant DMS-8704209 (Research Associate),
- Graduate Fellowship, Princeton University, 1981-1982.
Invited Talks at Conferences and
Workshops (2001- )
- Second Workshop on Diffrential Geometry, Maceio, Brazil, February
- International Conference on Geometric Analysis and Nonlinear
PDEs, Changsha, China, May, 2012.
- International Conference on Complex Geometry, Singularities, and
Related Fields, Beijing, China, August 2012.
- International Conference on Geometric Analysis, Seillac, France,
- Workshop on Geometric Flows and Geometric Structures, Valencia,
Spain, September 2012.
- Yamabe Memorial Symposium (50th Anniversary): Geometric Analysis,
Minneapolis, October, 2012.
- Analytic Aspects of Complex Algebraic Geometry, Luminy/Marseille,
France, February 2011.
- International Conference on Geometric Analysis and Nonlinear
Partial Diffrential Equations, Hanzhou, China, May 2011.
- Numerical Ricci Flow in Computer Science, Geometry and Physics,
Vancouver, Canada, July, 2011.
- International Conference on Diffeential Geometry, Beijing, China,
- Workshop on Geometric Analysis, 2nd Conference of Tsinghua-Sanya
International Mathematics Forum, Sanya, China, Dec.19-21, 2011.
- International Conference on Finsler Geometry, Chern Institute of
Math., China, June, 2010.
- International Conference on Geometric and Nonlinear PDEs, Mission
Beach, Australia, September, 2010.
- 5th International Congress of Chinese Mathematicians, Beijing,
China, December, 2010.
- The Conference on Geometry, Warsaw, Poland, April, 2009.
- Complex and Diffrential Geometry, Hannover, Germany, September,
- American Mathematical Society 2009 Fall Central Section Meeting,
Waco TX, October, 2009
- Program on Geometric Flows and Equivariant Problems in Symplectic
Geometry, Barcelona, Spain, March, 2008.
- Program on Extremal Kahler Metrics and Kahler-Ricci Flow, Pisa,
Italy, March, 2008.
- Geometric Flows in Mathematics and Physics, Banff, Canada, April,
- XV Brazilian School in Diffrential Geometry, Fortaleza, Brazil,
- Workshop on Field Theory and Geometric Flows, Munich, Germany,
- Plenary Lecture, 59th British Mathematical Colloquium, Swansea,
UK, April, 2007.
- International Conference on Geometric Analysis, Taipei, Taiwan,
- International Conference on Topology and Physics, Tianjin, China,
- Valencia Geometric Analysis Day, Valencia, Spain, November, 2007.
- Einstein Manifolds and Beyond, Marseille, France, November, 2007.
- Strings 2006, Beijing, China, June, 2006.
- 8th Pacific Rim Geometry Conference, South Durras, Australia,
- Midwest Geometry Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May, 2005.
- Mini-Workshop on Aspects of Ricci-Flow, Oberwolfach, Germany,
- Workshop on Flows in Geometry, Boston, MA, May, 2005.
- Fragrant Hill Meeting-Frontiers of Mathematical Physics, Beijing,
China, August, 2005.
- Conference celebrating L.K. Hua's 95th birthday, Beijing, China,
- Sino-France Conference in Mathematics, Zhuhai, China, December,
- Workshop on Geometric Flows: Theory and Computation, Los Angeles,
CA, February, 2004.
- Great Lakes Geometry Conference, South Bend, IN, April, 2004.
- Program on Diffrential Geometry and Topology (5 lectures), Pisa,
Italy, September, 2004.
- Texas Geometry and Topology Conference, College Station, TX,
- Special Lectures: Introduction to Perelman's Work (3 lectures),
Paris, France, December, 2004.
- 7th Pacific Rim Geometry Conference, Shanghai, China, December,
- 3rd International Congress of Chinese Mathematicians, Hong Kong,
- Lehigh Geometry and Topology Conference, Bethlehem, PA, June,
- Perspective in Diffeential Geometry, Banff, anada, July 2003.
- Workshop on Geometric Flows, Hamilton Island, Australia, August,
- Diffrential Geometry Conference, Tokyo, Japan, December, 2003.
- Workshop on Geometric Evolution Equations, Hsinchu, Taiwan, July,
- Diffrential Geometry and Global Analysis (Satellite Conference to
2002 ICM), Tianjin, China, August, 2002.
- 6th Pacific Rim eometry Conference, Hong Kong, December, 2002.
- International Conference of Mathematics, Hangzhou, China, July,
- Workshop on Geometric Evolution and Nonlinear Elliptic Equations,
Cambridge, UK, March, 2001.
- 972th American Mathematical Society Meeting, Irvine, CA,