Applying for a PA Driver's License or State ID
Lehigh Valley is a fun place to explore. Yet, getting around
is not always easy. This ISS page is dedicated to helping you
apply for a PA driver's license or a PA state ID from PennDot.
Below are the steps that international students and scholars
must follow to obtain a driver's license. You can download a copy of Pennsylvania driver's manual and stop by ISS to ask any questions
about the process. We are happy to help!
Checklist for Pennsylvania Driver's License
- Immigration Documents
- I-94 card and
- I-20 or DS-2019 or I797 (H-1 approval) which MUST be valid for at least ONE YEAR PLUS ONE DAY when you apply. Dependents on F-2, J-2 or H-4 must also have a copy of the F-1, J-1 or H-1’s immigration forms.
- A letter from ISS – must be used within 30 days of the date on the letter. Request a letter through our website at: www.lehigh.edu/~intnl/forms_docs.html.
- Social Security Card OR Rejection
Letter from the Social Security Office at 555 Main St., Bethlehem, PA 18018.
NOTE: Spouses and dependents must first apply to the Social Security office and receive a rejection letter. This letter must be presented with your Learner’s Permit application.
- Proofs of Residency: 2 Proof of Residency - can be your lease contract and a utility bill sent to your present address. You CANNOT have two proofs of residency from the same source in the same month. Example: You can have one from the gas company and one from the electric company in the same month or two from the gas company in separate months. The letter from ISS can serve as one form of proof of residency only if you receive it by mail. Letter is valid only for 30 days from date of issue.
- Learner's Permit Application (DL-143): fill out DL-143 application and print it out
- Physician's Report: You need to schedule an appointment with a physician from the Health Center in Johnson Hall to complete the top part of the 2nd page of your learner's permit application. The fee is $25. Please note, physician's report is not needed for license renewal.
- Check OR Money Order: You must pay PENNDOT with a check (payable to PENNDOT) or money order. CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED. Check here for latest PENNDOT fees.
- Study for the Knowledge Test: The knowledge test asks questions about Pennsylvania's driving laws, traffic signs, and safe driving practices. The test is 18 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 15 correctly to pass. Use the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual to study for the test. You may also try some practice tests here. You can also stop by ISS for a free manual.
PA STATE ID: If you would like to just apply for a PA State ID, you need to follow steps 1,2, 3, 7 and 7 from above and fill out this form DL-54A.
NOTE: New students/scholars: You must wait at least 10 days from the date of entry to the US to visit PENN-DoT. (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing_master/identity.shtml)
PennDot Location and Hours
Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation (PennDot)
Allentown Office (Google Map)
1710 Hoover Ave.
Allentown, PA 18019
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 8:30am - 4:15pm
Easton Office (Google Map)
2473 Nazareth Rd
Easton, PA 18045
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
TRANSPORTATION: If you need transportation to the PennDot center, you may contact Stacy Burger (stb206) to request a ride with a community volunteer from CISH. Please send a request one week in advance.
You have the learner's permit, you have practiced safe driving skills, and are ready to take the road test. You can schedule a road test online, or by calling PennDot
If you have any questions, just stop by ISS! or email firstname.lastname@example.org