Department: Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
Position: Professor and Department Chair
Address: Packard Lab 356
19 Memorial Dr. West
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Areas of Research
- Computational Stochastic Mechanics
- Random Processes and Fields in Mechanics
- Lifetime Assessment
- Mechanical Characterization
- Statistical Analysis on Multi-Dimension Data
Gary Harlow pursues research interests in the areas of probability and statistical modeling of failure processes in materials, aluminum alloys, steels, and composites; stochastic fracture mechanics; mechanical and system reliability; applications of stochastic processes; and, applied probability modeling.
He is a recipient of the SAE "Excellence in Oral Presentation" award as well as Lehigh's Pi Tau Sigma "Professor of the Year" award, and he's earned research fellowships with Naval Research Center. He is a member ASME, TMS, SAE, Sigma Xi , Sigma Pi Sigma, and Pi Mu Epsilon.
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, Cornell University
- M.S., Applied Mathematics, Cornell University
- B.S., Mathematics, Western Kentucky University