Department: Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
Position: Adjunct Professor
Address: Packard Lab
19 Memorial Dr. West
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Areas of Research
- Failure and root cause analysis
- Manufacturing process characterization using statistical methods
- Crystallographic texture in assessing formability of rolled alloys used in Auto industry
- Combustion process and pollutant formation in modern power plants
- Emerging combustion and post-combustion carbon capture technologies in modern power
Dr. Forouraghi’s current interests are in failure analysis, high volume manufacturing process characterization using statistical techniques, use of ultrasonic waves in measuring formability of rolled sheets used in auto industry (i.e. using the relation between grain orientation and elastic/plastic properties in textured sheets).
He has also a broad interest in the field of energy with emphasis on emerging technologies in modern power plant combustion processes (e.g. Oxy-Fuel technologies) and post combustion carbon capture technologies (e.g. Amine scrubbers). Concurrent with teaching mechanical engineering at Lehigh University he is a consulting engineer providing solutions to clients in energy, automotive and metal producing industries. His past professional experiences include Research Scientist and Research Engineer at DOE’s Ames Laboratory, Bethlehem Steel’s Homer Research Laboratories and Lucent Technologies. His industrial research has investigated such topics as applications of high speed feedback control systems, modeling plastic deformation in high speed processing of steel, on-line measurements of transverse residual stresses during the rolling process, the properties of adhesives in bonding of fiber-optic assemblies, stress analysis of uncoated fiber in sub-assemblies and response of micro-mechanical systems in fiber-optic devices to aging process.
Dr. Forouraghi is a registered professional engineer in state of Pennsylvania with a Black Belt in Six Sigma methodology.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University