Archive >> Background
The Linderman Library was donated by Lehigh founder Asa Packer and named for his daughter Lucy. Addison Hutton of Philadelphia, also the architect for Packer Memorial Church, designed the original building, which opened its doors to the Lehigh University community on April 29, 1878. A large addition, which includes the Reading Room, was built in 1929.
Linderman contains books and journals in the humanities and Lehigh's impressive collection of rare books. Constructed in 1877, the Library is recognized by scholars as the first to be organized around modern library functions. Yet its beautiful stained glass dome, circular staircase, and rich architectural details, still convey the warmth and elegance of nineteenth century university buildings.
The Bayer Galleria provides a spacious, controlled environment for researchers and university classes to use Special Collections material. Media centers in both Libraries encourage students to prepare excellent classroom presentations, and to create other sophisticated products using technology like digital photography, video, and scanners.
In Linderman Library, Lehigh will create a dynamic laboratory for the humanities and the campus at large-one that will strengthen partnerships among academic programs. Linderman will become a major factor in attracting the best and brightest humanities students to Lehigh, while drawing the most talented faculty to our classrooms.