Home > History of Fulbright at Lehigh
Hosting Fulbright students and scholars is a time honored tradition at Lehigh. These exemplary individuals from around the world have called Lehigh home for more than a decade. As a testimony to Lehigh’s firm dedication to the Fulbright program, Mrs. Harriet Mayor Fulbright, widow of the program’s namesake, visited campus in October of 1997 and March of 2012 to personally thank the faculty and staff for opening so many doors to program participants.
From the out-going perspective, Lehigh University has had more than 20 faculty/staff members win Fulbright scholarships since 1988. Our most recent Fulbrighters are Drs. Tom Hyclak and David Small. Dr. Hyclak will research economics in Poland, and Dr. Small will continue his archaeological research in Greece.
The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 under legislation introduced by lateSenator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas. The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the the United States Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
Approximately 294,000 "Fulbrighters," 111,000 from the United States and 183,000 from other countries, have participated in the Program since its inception over sixty years ago. The Fulbright Program awards approximately 7,500 new grants annually.
Currently, the Fulbright Program operates in over 155 countries worldwide.
Click here to view Faculty Fulbright Winners >