Dan M. Frangopol, the Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture in the department of civil and environmental engineering, has been elected an Honorary Member of the Romanian Academy.
Founded in Bucharest in 1866, the Romanian Academy promotes the study of Romania’s literature and history and the Romanian language, as well as scientific research. The academy has 181 acting members who are elected for life.
Frangopol, a native of Romania, was elected to the academy on June 30 with 15 other members, including six honorary members. He was the only new member elected to the academy’s Engineering Section, which has 17 members.
The honor is the third academic accolade of its kind that Frangopol has received in the past two years. In 2015, he was inducted into the Academy of Europe (Academia Europaea), and in 2016, he was inducted into the Royal Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts.
Frangopol earned his Ph.D. in 1976 from the University of Liège in Belgium, which awarded him an honorary doctorate in 2008.
Read the full story at the Lehigh University News Center.
-Kurt Pfitzer is an Editor and Writer with Lehigh University's Office of Communications and Public Affairs.
August 7, 2017
- Lehigh University News Center: "Dan Frangopol elected to the Romanian Academy"
- Web site: The Romanian Academy
- Resolve Magazine, Vol. 1, 2017: "International leadership and recognition for CEE's Dan Frangopol"
- Resolve Magazine, 2016, Vol. 1: "Pioneering Life-Cycle"
- Lehigh Engineering News Archives: "Professor Dan Frangopol Receives Lifetime Achievement Award"
- Lehigh Engineering News Archives: "Frangopol named Lehigh Valley ASCE Civil Engineer of the Year"
- Faculty Profile: Professor Dan M. Frangopol
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering