Dan M. Frangopol, the Fazlur R. Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture and professor of civil and environmental engineering, recently received an honorary doctorate degree and an honorary professorship.
On June 5, at a ceremony attended by about 100 people, Frangopol received an honorary doctorate from the Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iași (TUI) in Iași, Romania.
The award cited Frangopol for "remarkable scientific merits [in] the development of civil engineering, especially in the field of structural engineering" and for contributing to the development of cooperation with the faculty of civil engineering from TUI.
At the induction ceremony, Frangopol gave a technical presentation titled "Safety, Risk, and Sustainability of Structural Systems under Multi-Hazards."
TUI has the longest tradition of engineering education in Romania and is one of the country's top universities. During his trip to Romania, Frangopol was invited to give a lecture at the Timisoara branch of the Romanian Academy.
Frangopol has also received honorary doctorates from the University of Liège in Belgium and from the Technical University of Civil Engineering in Bucharest, Romania.
On May 13, Frangopol was named an honorary professor at Dalian University of Technology (DUT) in Dalian, China. At that ceremony he gave a lecture titled "Life-Cycle Reliability, Risk and Resilience of Civil Infrastructure." DUT is one of China's leading universities for engineering and applied science.
Frangopol has received seven honorary professorships in the past five years. Most recently, he was named honorary professor by the Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT) and Chang'an University in Xian, both in China.
- TUI Web News: Professor Dan Frangopol of Lehigh University, Doctor Honoris Causa at TUI
- Watch: Dr. Dan Frangopol at the Romanian Academy - Timișoara branch, June 16, 2014 (YouTube)
- Watch: Dr. Frangopol's Induction Ceremony at TUI
- Lehigh University News: Dan Frangopol named honorary professor by two Chinese universities
- Lehigh Engineering News: Frangopol, Ph.D. advisees awarded Croes Medal by ASCE
- Profile: Dr. Dan M. Frangopol
- Fazlur Rahman Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Art, Architecture and Design