Dan Frangopol, the Fazlur Rahman Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture and a professor in the department of civil and environmental engineering (CEE), was recently selected to serve on top posts in two prestigious engineering organizations.
Frangopol was elected as the Vice President of the International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability (IASSAR). IASSAR is the leading professional organization in the field of structural safety and reliability of engineering systems.
He was elected during the recent IASSAR Executive Board meeting at the International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability (ICOSSAR 2013) at Columbia University and will serve a four-year term as vice president. Frangopol is the Past-Chair of the Executive Board of IASSAR.
Five of Frangopol's graduate students were also in attendance at ICOSSAR 2013, including PhD student Samantha Sabatino and PhD candidates Mohamed Soliman, Benjin Zhu, You Dong and Duygu Saydam. The PhD students presented 10 papers during the June 2013 conference.
Zhu and Soliman, both P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellows, were awarded with IASSAR registration scholarships for their participation during the conference.
Frangopol was also named by the Board of Directors of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) to serve as a member of the Society Awards Committee. The ASCE currently serves over 141,000 professionals who work to increase society's understanding of the facets of civil engineering.
He has been a recipient of several ASCE awards, including the Nathan M. Newmark Medal (2005), J. James Croes Medal (2001), Ernest E. Howard Award (2007), Arthur M. Wellington Prize (2012), Moisseiff Award (2003) and State of the Art of Civil Engineering Award (1998 and 2004).
A Distinguished Member of the ASCE, Frangopol will begin his term effective October 1, 2013.
Frangopol currently holds numerous posts across several organizations, including:
- President, International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS)
- President, International Association for Life-Cycle Engineering (IALCCE)
- Co-Chair, 7th International Conference of Bridge Maintenance, Safety and Management (IABMAS2014, Shanghai, China, July 7-11, 2014)
- Co-Chair, 4th International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering
(IALCCE2014, Tokyo, Japan, November 6-8, 2014)
- Chair, ASCE-SEI Technical Council on life-cycle performance, safety, reliability and risk of structural systems
- Editor-in-Chief, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering (an international peer-reviewed journal)
- Editor, Structures and Infrastructures (Book Series)
- Faculty Website Profile: Dan M. Frangopol
- Official Website: International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability (IASSAR)
- Official Website: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Official Website: ASCE Conference of the Engineering Mechanics Conference
- "The Structural Network": Lehigh Professor Dan Frangopol is connecting researchers around the world to study life-cycle engineering of structural systems
- Frangopol and Ph.D. advisee promote structural life-cycle management