Alfred Greene Blake, who graduated from Lehigh with a degree in civil engineering in 1924, served Lehigh as president of the Alumni Association (1969-70) and was a member of the Board of Trustees beginning in 1970. He was a member of the university's Planning and Development, Endowment, and Membership committees in addition to being the Chairman of the visiting Committee to the University's department of chemical engineering. He was also area chairman for Northern and Mid-Jersey in Lehigh's New Century Fund campaign.
Mr. Blake began his distinguished business career as a special representative for the Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company in 1925. After a variety of experiences with three other companies, he joined the Edgar Brothers Company in 1950 as a vice-president. After a series of mergers, the company, with several others, eventually became in 1967 the Engelhard Minerals and Chemicals Corporation, at which time Mr. Blake was named executive vice president of the corporation and president of its Minerals and Chemicals Division. In 1969 he was elected chairman of the division and in 1971 chairman of the board of the Parent Corporation.
He was a member of the Board of Directors of several other companies as well as the Syracuse Pulp and Paper Foundation which he served as president from 1969 through 1971. He was their chairman of the Special Gift Committee. Other memberships included the American Petroleum Institute, the Technical Association Pulp and Paper Industry, American Paper Industry, the Chi Psi social fraternity, the Union League Club of New York City and the Baltusrol Golf Club.
Alfred and his wife Mildred were residents of Plainfield, N.J. where they were active workers for their church, Grace Episcopal. They had two children and several grandchildren.
Birth: June 22, 1902
Died: August 1985
Degree: BS civil engineering
Notable Achievement: Former Chairman of Engelhard Minerals & Chemicals Corp