Vita of Donald M. Davis
- Born May 7, 1945 in Fort Knox, Kentucky.
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 1967.
- Ph.D. Stanford University, January 1972.
Thesis Director: R. James Milgram.
- WORK EXPERIENCE
- North American Rockwell Corp., Columbus, Ohio, Research Associate,
Summers of 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, and June 1967 to August 1968.
- University of California, San Diego, Acting Assistant Professor,
- Northwestern University,
Evanston, Illinois, Assistant Professor, 1972-4,
Visiting Associate Professor, 1978-9.
- Lehigh University, Assistant Professor, 1974-8.
Associate Professor 1978-84. Professor 1984 to present.
- National Merit Scholar 1963.
- Deans List at M.I.T. 1964-1967.
- N.S.F. Graduate Fellow 1970-1971.
- N.S.F. Research Grant 1975-1983, 1984-1991.
- Libsch Research Award, Lehigh University, 1989
- AMS Special Session honored my 60th birthday, Delaware, 2005.
- Lehigh Geometry/Topology Conference honored my 70th birthday, 2015.
- Outstanding Contribution to Mathematics Education Award, Pa. Council
of Teachers of Mathematics, 2005.
- Named to Westerville High School Alumni Hall of Fame, 2007.
- Samuel Greitzer Distinguished Coach Award, American Regions Math
- Named an Inaugural Fellow of American Math Society, 2012
- EXTERNAL SERVICE
- Founder and moderator of electronic discussion group for algebraic topology
- Executive Editor, Homology, Homotopy, and Applications, 2002-present.
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Modern Mathematics, 2008-2012.
- National Research Council Graduate Fellowship Evaluation Panel, 1987-1990.
- Employment Committee, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, 2010
- External Examiner, Swarthmore College, 1998, 2001
- External evaluator, Rider University Math Department, 2015
- Organizer of Special Sessions in
Algebraic Topology, Regional AMS Meeting
at Penn State, 1990, and at Lehigh, 1992, and
at Lawrenceville, 1996 and 2004.
- Organizer of International Conference in Algebraic Topology, Oaxtepec,
- Organizer of JAMI Conference, Recent Progress in Homotopy Theory,
- Local organizer of regional MAA conference at Lehigh, 2001.
- Organizer of Complex Cobordism Conference, Baltimore, 2007
- AMS-ASA-IMS-MAA Data Survey Committee, 2002-2006.
- Reviewer for Math Reviews (595 reviews) and Zentrallblatt (78
- Referee for NSF (37 proposals), NSERC (4 proposals),
Proc AMS (21 papers), Trans AMS (17
Jour of Pure and Applied Alg (11 papers), Topology and its Applications
Quar Jour Math (2), Math Scand (1), Topology (9), London Math Soc (6),
Pac Jour (2),
Arab Jour (1), Duke Jour (1), Math Ann (1), Math Zeit (2), Jour of Geom
(1), Turkish Jour (1),Geometry and Topology (6),American Math Monthly
(3), Cubo Jour (1),
Manuscripta Math (2), Jour Num Th (2), Proc Edin Math Soc (4),
Inventiones Math (1), Jour of Alg (4),
Forum Math (2), NY Math Jour (3), Documenta (1), Fundamenta Math (2),
Boletin Mat Soc Mex (4),Osaka Jour (1),Indian Jour (1), HHA (9),
Math Proc Camb Phil Soc (1), Algebraic & Geometric Topology (5),
South African Journal of Pure and Applied Math (1), Int'l Jour of Modern
Math (4), Jour of Topology (1), Jour of Quant Analysis in Sports (4),
Jour Korean Math Society (1), Rocky Mountain Journal (1), Science China
(2),Publ Math Debrecen (1),Israel Jour (1), Hacettepe Jour (1), Integers (1),
conference proceedings (18)
- Centro de Investigacion del I.P.N., Mexico City, Invited visitor,
June-July 1974, March 1976, July 1978, and August 1979.
- Sabbatical Visit at University of Warwick, England, sponsored by S.R.C.,
- Sabbatical visit as funded member of Institute for Advanced Study, 1983.
- Sabbatical visit at Math Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley, 1989.
- Visiting Research Professor, Oxford University Mathematical Institute,
Oct-Dec 1990 and June 1995.
- Visiting Professor, Johns Hopkins University, 1999-2000
- INVITED SPEAKER AT CONFERENCES
- Midwest Topology Seminar,
Evanston, Illinois, November 1973, November 1983.
- Homotopy Theory Conference, Evanston, Illinois, August 1974, March 1977,
- Oxford Topology Symposium, England, July 1975.
- Ohio State University Topology Conference, August 1975.
- University of Chicago Topology Conference, August 1975.
- Special Session in Homotopy Theory, AMS, San Antonio, January 1976;
San Francisco, January 1981; Eugene, August 1984; Baltimore, May 1986;
Baltimore, January 1992; Baltimore, Jan 1998; Denton, TX, May 1999;
Washington, Jan 2000; Baltimore, Jan 2003; Newark, Del, April 2005.
- NSF Summer Institute, Stanford, August 1976.
- Waterloo (Ontario) Topology Conference, June 1978.
- NSF Regional Conference, Albany, NY, June 1980.
- Oberwolfach Homotopy Theory Conference, Germany, September 1980,
- Topology Conference honoring Jose Adem, Oaxtepec, Mexico, August 1981.
- Manchester University Topology Conference, England, December 1982.
- Cornell University Topology Festival, May 1984.
- Stanford University Topology Conference, August 1984.
- Lefschetz International Symposium on Topology and Geometry, Mexico City,
- American Math Society, Summer Conference on Brown-Gitler Spectra,
Humboldt, June 1985.
- Durham (England) Symposium on Homotopy Theory, July 1985.
- University of Illinois Computers and Topology Conference, March 1986.
- Algebraic Topology Conference honoring Ed Brown, Arcata, California, July
- Congress in Computational Topology, Seville, Spain, August 1987.
- Homotopy Theory Conference honoring Hirosi Toda, Kinosaki, Japan, August
- Algebraic Topology Workshop at MSRI, October 1989.
- Adams Memorial Symposium, Manchester, England, July 1990
- International Conference in Algebraic Topology, Oaxtepec, Mexico, July 1991
- International Conference in Homotopy Theory, Gargnano, Italy, September
- Cech Centennial Conference in Homotopy Theory, Boston, June 1993
- Algebraic Topology Conference honoring Sam Gitler, Cocoyoc, Mexico, August
- American Math Society Research Conference on Periodicity in Homotopy
Theory, South Hadley, Mass, July 1994.
- Ontario Topology Conference, Peterborough, October 1995
- Fields Institute Homotopy Conference, Toronto, June 1996
- Canadian Math Society Homotopy Theory Symposium, Victoria, Dec 1997
- American Math Society Conference on Homotopy Methods in Algebraic
Topology, Boulder, CO, June 1999
- Conference on Algebraic Topology and its Applications, Stanford, Aug 1999
- Science and Art: Poincare and Duchamp, Harvard, Nov 1999
- Univ of Rochester Conference honoring Sam Gitler, April 2001
- Isle of Skye Algebraic Topology Conference, June 2001
- Centro de Investigacion 40th Anniversary Conference, Mexico City, Dec
- Barcelona Conference on Algebraic Topology, July 2002
- Mexico Topology Seminar, Natl Acad Science, March 2003
- International Conference in Algebraic Topology honoring Goro
Nishida, Kinosaki, Japan, July 2003.
- Conference honoring Sam Gitler's 70th birthday, San Miguel Allende,
- Conference honoring Sam Gitler's 75th birthday, Valle de Bravo,
Mexico, October 2008.
- Conference honoring Sam Gitler's 80th birthday. Mexico City, Sept 2013
- Talk at Mexican Colegio Nacional installation of Sam Gitler's portrait, Sept 2015.
- INVITED SPEAKER AT TOPOLOGY SEMINAR OR
- Princeton University, October 1974, February 1983, April 1984, Nov. 1985,
November 1986, March 1987, October 1987, Feb 1988, Oct 1988, Apr
1999, March 2006, October 2009, March 2011, Sept 2011, Nov 2012, Oct 2014, Nov 2015.
- Northwestern University, November 1974, January 1977, April 1983, April
1984, June 1986, Jan 1988, Jan 1989, Jan 1992, May 2000, May 2004, Oct
2007, Oct 2011.
- Ohio State University, January 1975, July 1977.
- University of Maryland, March 1975.
- University of Manchester (England), July 1975, Dec 1990.
- University of British Columbia, January 1977.
- University of Chicago, March 1979, April 1983, April 1984.
- Institute for Advanced Study, November 1979, January 1983, June 1983,
- Rutgers University, November 1980, February 1983, Dec 2014.
- Oxford University (England), October 1982, October 1990, June 1995.
- Edinburgh University (Scotland), November 1982, November 1990.
- University of Warwick (England), November 1982, November 1990.
- North Carolina State University, March 1983.
- Johns Hopkins University, March 1983, Sept 1997, Sept 1999, Apr 2000,
Oct 2002, Sept 2007, Oct 2015.
- University of Washington, May 1985.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Oct 1987, March 1990,
April 2003, April 2011.
- MSRI Seminar, October 1989
- Swansea (Wales) Colloquium, November 1990.
- Wuppertal (Germany) Topology Seminar, November 1990.
- Aberdeen (Scotland) Topology Seminar, December 1990.
- Milan (Italy) Topology Seminar, May 1994.
- Univ of Rochester, October 1999, April 2011.
- CUNY Graduate Center, October 1994, Oct 1997, March 1999, Sept 2000,
Oct 2005, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2010, Oct 2012, Oct 2014, Dec 2015.
- Fields Institute (Toronto) Topology Seminar, October 1995.
- Univ of Virginia, colloq and top seminar, Apr 2000.
- Lehigh Humanities Center Lecture Series, "The Shape of Space," Feb
- New Orleans Topology Seminar, March 2002.
- Lehigh celebration of E.Pitcher's 90th birthday, "The mathematical
work of Everett Pitcher," July 2002.
- Centro de Investigacion Topology Seminar, Mexico City, March 2003
- UNAM Colloquium, Mexico City, March 2003
- Univ of Illinois Topology Seminar, Champaign-Urbana, March 2005.
- Haverford College colloquium, Oct 2005
- Millersville University colloquium, Nov 2005
- Tetrahedral Geometry/Topology Seminar, central Pa., Nov 2005
- Ontario Topology Seminar, Toronto, July 2007
- THESES DIRECTED
- Randy Davidson, M.S., 1978, A view of the elliptical catastrophe
- Hyun-Jong Song, Ph.D., 1987, On the nonimmersion of products
of projective spaces.
- Ken Monks, Ph.D., 1989, Nilpotence and torsion bounds in the Steenrod
and its cohomology.
- Huajian Yang, Ph.D., 1995, Stable homotopy type of stunted lens spaces mod
- Ismet Karaca, Ph.D., 1996, Nilpotence in the mod p Steenrod algebra.
- Vitaly Zelov, Ph.D., 1997, Immersions and embeddings of real projective
- Mike Fisher, Ph.D., 2001, Topics in v1-periodic homotopy theory.
- Tom Shimkus, Ph.D., 2002, Immersions of 2-torsion lens spaces.
- Leyla Batakci, Ph.D., 2002, Cohomology of the Steenrod algebra mod
- Katarzyna Potocka, Ph.D., 2004, The number of summands in v1-periodic
homotopy groups of SU(n).
- Xiaoxue Li, Ph.D. 2007. Some properties of v1-periodic spectra
associated to exceptional Lie groups.
- Karen McCready, Ph.D. 2012, Sharpness of exponent bounds for SU(n).
- SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY
- Chairman of Colloquium Committee, Mathematics Dept., 1983-1989,
- Chairman of Course Committee, College of Arts & Science, 1981-1982.
- Freshman Advisor, College of Arts & Science, 1975-1981, 1991-1994, 1998-
- Organizer of Lehigh University Mathematics Contest, 1981-present.
- Member of Lehigh University Forum, 1981-1982.
- Member of Personnel Committee, Mathematics Department, 1981-1982.
- Member of Search Committee, Mathematics Department, 1983-1990,2002-6.
- Member of University Calculus Committee, 1981-1982.
- College of Arts and Science Policy Committee, 1984-1987
- Organizer of Lehigh Geometry and Topology Conference, 1986-present.
- Member of University Computer Software Committee, 1986-1987.
- Curator of Fractal Art Exhibit, Maginnes Lobby, 1989.
- Member of Chairman's Advisory Committee, 1983-1993, 2001-present.
- Admissions Office Faculty Recruiter, 1990-1993
- Faculty Compensation Committee, 1991-1994
- Chairman of Math Department, 1994-1998
- Coach of Lehigh Valley American Regions Math League team,
1993-present. National champions
in 2005, 2009, 2010, and 2011.
- Search Committee for Dean of College of Arts and Sciences, 1994-5
- Faculty Advisor for Running Club, 1995-1999
- Head of Search Committee for department Chair, 2000
- Math dept graduate advisor, 2002-2006, 2009-present
- College of Arts & Science Promotion Committee, 2002-2005, 2015-2017, head in 16-17..
- Pitcher Lecture Series Chair, 2006-2007, 2013.
- Search Committee for Professor of Practice, 2015