Become a Tutor
While tutoring is probably one of the more challenging jobs on
campus, we believe that it is also one of the most rewarding! Tutors
are needed every new academic year in many introductory and 100-level
courses in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Economics and
Lehigh's tutors are a select group of undergraduate and graduate students who are chosen for their ability to assist their peers academically and for their strong interpersonal and communication skills. Tutors are recommended by faculty and undergo training offered by the Center. Other qualifications include:
- successful completion of at least one semester at Lehigh*
- a cumulative GPA of 2.8 and a B+ or better in the course*
- strong communication and interpersonal skills
- excellent time management and study skills
- a desire to help peers
*Graduate students need to have completed equivalent coursework at their undergraduate institutions or more advanced coursework at the graduate level. We ask that graduate students provide us with a copy of their undergraduate transcripts.
While hours are extremely flexible, tutors are expected to tutor for a minimum of four (4) hours per week and to commit to a semester-long experience. They will be asked to follow all Center procedures and to keep the hourly limitations we've put in place for tutoring. Tutors will be expected to attend/complete training, communicate with tutees in a timely manner, complete all necessary paperwork, be professional, maintain confidentiality, and adhere to Lehigh's policies regarding academic integrity. It is the role of Lehigh's tutors to help their peers become successful, independent learners.
- Group Tutor Position Description
- Walk-In Tutor Position Description
- Residential Tutor Position Description
Click here to see a list of frequently
Students who are looking to be a peer tutor, must complete a tutor application and professor recommendation form and submit both to the Center for Academic Success, UC 4th floor. A member of our Center staff will contact you to arrange your 30-min interview. Please note that hiring decisions are also based on the demand for tutoring and our need for tutors in the subject areas for which the applicant is looking to tutor.
- Hiring information for fall 2013:
Important Note: In order to work on campus, students must complete an I-9 form (see link to form below). This form requires that the student have a U.S. passport or a social security card. If you have never worked on campus or if it has been six months since you've worked on campus, please make arrangements to have one of these documents on campus with you in the fall. (The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) in Coxe Lab will assist all international students with payroll forms. Please contact the OISS to find out what documents are required.)
- The Center is currently accepting tutor applications for fall semester.
- The deadline to submit an application is Friday, August 30th 2013.
- Students who submit a complete application, including at least one faculty recommendation, prior to the August 30th deadline will be guaranteed an interview.
- Applicants will be evaluated based on academic performance, the application, the faculty recommendation and the interview. (Hiring decisions are also based on the anticipated demand for tutoring and our need for tutors in the subject areas for which the applicant is looking to tutor.)
- Applicants who are selected to become tutors for fall will be asked to complete a mandatory tutor orientation program prior to beginning tutoring.
- Tutor Application (pdf) or submit our easy web application
- Professor Recommendation Form (pdf) Your application will not be considered complete until we have received a recommendation from your faculty member!